Honored Contributor

Re: Your Siblings and Your Children

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Seems as though this has turned into a bash siblings for the most part...

I had two - both younger than I and they have both passed.  Wish they were here, warts and all...

I can only speak for myself, everything I said about my sibling is truthful, it would not be healthy to pretend otherwise.  While I don't think he's dangerous per se, I don't have the time to wait for him to change at this point.

Honored Contributor

I am the oldest child and have a very close relationship with my 2 brothers.   After growing up watching the ridiculous and petty conflicts between my dad's siblings, I swore that I would never let anything come between me and my brothers.   

My adult daughters are extremely different from each other; don't always see eye to eye, but learned to respect their differences, and get along fine.  When they were much younger, I let them fight it out physically, with absolutely no intervention from me.  They had 2 really good fights before realizing their sister was as strong as they were, and they were as likely to get their butt whipped as they were to win the fight.  They also were not very proud of the bruises sustained from their sister.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm the 4th of 5 siblings and we all get along. Today my oldest sisters son took his mom and his two aunties out to lunch. We had a great time. Saturday the 3 girls are going to San Antonio for a wedding.  We all live within 5 miles of each other and are always doing things together. Love my brothers and sisters and I know we are very blessed. 

And my son is an only child 

Honored Contributor

My siblings and I get along and laugh a lot when we get together which, unfortunately, isn't often since we live at a distance from one another.

I have only one child.

As to parents acting as arbitrators between their adult children, it's wrong for the parents to get involved and unfair of the child to expect their parents to take sides.

Esteemed Contributor

Respected Contributor

I am the oldest of 3 siblings.  I get along great with my brother, but neither of us get along with our younger sister.  She is toxic.  She was very disrespectful to our parents, who are now deceased.  I have no contact with her and no desire to.  It's all good.  This is never a thought in my head.  Like someone said, life is short.  I don't want to fill it up with high maintenance people, family or not.