Honored Contributor

Re: Your Rx for a good night's sleep?

I feel my success in sleeping well every night comes from the fact my bedroom is strictly the place I sleep.  I purposely keep my bedroom cool and very dark; there is no TV, no clock, no phone, no radio in the room.   When I get in my bed, my body knows it is time to sleep, and it does.    

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde just wanted to thank you again for the cbd oil rec. And yes, like you said, it is legal everywhere. Anyway, I recently had one of my back issues and used the oil about 3 x a day and it was better super quick. In the past, it would have went into a full on "not being able to walk" episode. Such an amazing anti-inflammatory!  It also healed up my twisted knee within 2 days even though I was limping pretty bad on it. And it is great for sleeping. I've been sleeping deeply and wake up feeling refreshed for once. Exercising regularly and doing my sleep meditations work great too but this took it to a different level, especially for the stressful times I'm going through and need that extra help.  Doggies are getting some too and I've noticed they are moving better and my one boy is back to leading the pack during our walks. For awhile there he had slowed down a bit and I practically had to drag him along during the walks, lol. I only hope it will help my boy with cancer or at least be more comfortable instead of drugged out on dangerous meds that just make him sleepy and inactive. Not a way for him to live. 

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

OK, I wish they said that instead of the wink wink "60s" girl stuff and going to a pot dispenser. I don't care what they do. I don't do illegal.

nothing illegal at all and no reason for wink wink "60's" girl stuff (BTW, I wasn't even born during the 60's) since it isn't an illegal substance, regardless of where you live. It isn't pot. 

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze, I'm so glad it's worked out well for you and it's been so helpful 🙂

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I don't have any trouble sleeping these days thank goodness. I stay up rather late and I'm usually exhausted when I hit the sheets. And my daily regimen of meds makes me tired. (Not the best remedy). 

For regular folks, unplug from all technology at least an hour before bed. Use your bed for sex and sleeping only ( that's what the experts say), you can use a diffuser with lavender. There are various teas that help to induce sleep if you have trouble as well as natural supplements like valerian root or Melatonin. Of course those have to be used with caution in those taking meds.  The ole ask your doctor thing. And keep your room fairly cool. 

A good mattress is probably number one. It really makes a difference. I was having trouble sleeping until I bought a tempurpedic bed. 

Esteemed Contributor

Actually it's something my Dad came up with in the early 60s: in a tea strainer, place one heaping tsp of catnip loose tea and one heaping tsp of skullcap loose tea.  Pour boiling water over and up to almost the top of the strainer in an 8 oz cup.  Let set for 3-4 minutes.  Do not add sugar.  Drink as brewed.  This tea or tissane, as Hercule Poirot would say, has natural properties which allow most to be positively affected and achieve good sleep.

Respected Contributor

i exercise at most 6 days a week and it works wonders.  if i'm stressed for any reason lunesta works wonders for me.  i tried anbien, but broke out in a rash. 

thankyou for my lunesta!

Super Contributor

@HappyDaze  -  Which brand are you using? So many advertised, a little confused.

TIA

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Honestly, unless you have a physical reason why you can't sleep, the best way to be tired and get a good nights sleep is to get active during the day.Anyone who spends their days sitting around inactive is not going to be able to sleep well at night. But if you have active days, both your body & your mind get tired and you will easily sleep at night.

And you got your medical degree from where? You have no idea about the treatment for the insomnia that some people experience.

Honored Contributor

for a good night sleep i need 

a quiet room, dark (very dark). I do take 1/2 tablet melatonin (1mg tablet)

I purchased one of those gel filled mattress pad for my bed, oh my gosh, that has helped out wonderfully and last thing I need is a great mattress.

dh and i purchased an Aireloom mattress 2 months ago. OH MY gosh, that has improved our sleeping many fold. it cushions us and no more sore points when you have to constantly move to get off a hip,shoulder,arm and so on.