Respected Contributor

Your Personal Info Online

[ Edited ]

Does anyone else think this is just not right that your personal information is just hanging out on the internet for anyone to see? 

There are some of us that have had stalker issues! I know I have in the past with a couple of ex boyfriends.

Not only that, it should be illegal to post our personal info without our permission.

You put your name and city and state in a search and you come up with your information on a lot of sites. Even with a map! Sometimes a pic of your house!

Your address, your home phone, your cell phone numbers! Relatives. And on and on!

I really wish there was a way for all of this to not show up. It is just really not right. But I guess it is not gonna change.

Honored Contributor

Re: Your Personal Info Online

I totally agree with you @FlowerBear and if you are willing to pay you can get even more info.  I was stalked by a patient's brother years ago, thankfully it was before the age of computers back in the early 70's.

Respected Contributor

No it’s not right, but that’s the world we live in now. 

I googled my name and so much of my info is incorrect. But unfortunately, it wouldn’t be difficult for a stalker to find me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a homeowner, and I believe that information (name & address) has always been available to the public. 

Likewise, the streetview including my home given on Google maps would be the same to anyone interested in seeing it, whether I resided here or not. 

However, my phones, photos, personal & genetic links to other people, and other info about me is not available through a simple search because I've made it so.

Is someone else posting personal info about you and photos of you?

Or is this thread about someone getting results when they do a search?

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear , you can remove all that personal info, it just takes a long time to do it.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, certain information that is Public record will always be on the Internet. I hope someday that will change because of stalking and identity theft reasons. I have written some of the search engines starting with Google to have information about me removed and they complied.

Most of the information was social media related. I did not know that when I logged on to Instagram from my desktop that my information/pictures would be made public. I googled my name and saw my information and immediately deactivated the account and had Google to take down the picture and account info. I also had published papers removed from the search engine because of sensitive information that was included. 

With that being said, you may be able to contact the owner of search engine and request your information be removed. I could not believe it when my son demonstrated how Google maps worked. You could see my home and everything surrounding it, all be it was an outdated aerial view, it was still an accurate enough view of my property. 

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Does anyone else think this is just not right that your personal information is just hanging out on the internet for anyone to see? 

There are some of us that have had stalker issues! I know I have in the past with a couple of ex boyfriends.

You put your name and city and state in a search and you come up with your information on a lot of sites. Even with a map! Sometimes a pic of your house!

Your address, your home phone, your cell phone numbers! Relatives. And on and on!

I really wish there was a way for all of this to not show up. It is just really not right. But I guess it is not gonna change.

The joke is most of it is wrong. I looked up my address and it said that we have 19 people living in our home, when it is just the two of us. All of the stats were wrong and even our house was incorrectly listed and misrepresented.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 

I'm familiar with the site - and when it says 17 people live in the house -- they mean other people who lived there prior.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

@Trinity11 

I'm familiar with the site - and when it says 17 people live in the house -- they mean other people who lived there prior.

@kivah  That's just it...19 people never lived in this house. I know its history and who lived here previously. My in-laws were included as having lived here when none of them ever have.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Trinity11 

That's just it...19 people never lived in this house. I know its history and who lived her previously.

there could be more people who may not have necessarily lived there, but did use the address for some reason.

i get mail for my daughters fiance and he has never lived in our home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein