Honored Contributor

Re: Your Personal Info Online

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Trinity11 

I'm familiar with the site - and when it says 17 people live in the house -- they mean other people who lived there prior.

That's just it...19 people never lived in this house. I know its history and who lived her previously.

there could be more people who may not have necessarily lived there, but did use the address for some reason.

i get mail for my daughters fiance and he has never lived in our home.

@sunshine45  No, there would be no reason for any of my husband's siblings to ever have stated that they lived here. It is simply misinformation.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@FlowerBear , you can remove all that personal info, it just takes a long time to do it.

i dont know how that would even be possible, especially in our state, where so much is part of public records, including marriage/divorce/court cases/land ownership.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I also totally agree with @FlowerBear and others.  

There's nothing that's private anymore.

Along those lines I was watching (flipping through channels) on Investigation ID and the camera was showing people interacting with the police full face on!

It was crazy to me because they opened up their front door, etc to the police and right in front of them was the camera!

Some of these people are experiencing interacting with the police at one of the most difficult times of their life.  A number of them had called the police because they were having problems that could have been handled without being locked up (which they weren't in some cases) and could have been settled anonymously.

Instead their faces are plastered all over my TV!  I've tried to find out if they have to give the OK AHEAD of time and according to what I've read....that's not the case.

What have we come to in this country that there's no privacy?  For $9.99 you can find out everything about any individual!

My friend used to have an unlisted number.  She paid extra for it.  That was a joke.  Recently, her line broke (or something).  She HAD to get 'fios'.  She no longer had the option of unlisted (she was told).

I get so many fake calls ever day on my land line I don't even answer it anymore and I've turned off the answering machine!

This is absolutely crazy!  I remember when you had to get the individual's signed agreement before they were on TV, but obviously, not anymore.

Respected Contributor

They Used to publish towns, but really should not publish full street addresses.  Just found out White Pages does this. i looked at that site because i wanted to track unknown phone calls on my cell.  Now my full address shows up, but my "relatives" are my ex-husband, his wife (never met her), with her former names from her first marriage and their daughter! (don't know her either)

White Pages was started by a guy as a "hobby". Nice. Spokeo is another one and My Life - My Life sometimes has pics  and they publish DOB and Reputation scores.

Respected Contributor

There IS a way.  Don't post it.  Post as little information as you have to do whatever business you're doing.  Or, don't use the internet at all.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

There IS a way.  Don't post it.  Post as little information as you have to do whatever business you're doing.  Or, don't use the internet at all.

it doesnt always have to do with what you yourself post, but it often has to do with what government or legal agencies have provided online.....or what OTHERS may have posted about you online.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 ,

Re: the police shows, I think they can film everything, but afterward have to secure permission to use that person's image.

They probably offer a $ amount to encourage people to sign an agreement.

If people don't ok it, they just edit it out.

They do a lot of editing on those police shows, anyhow. Some of the police stops are just boring TV.

One show admitted to editing by race to manipulate the "numbers".

Honored Contributor

Well, as far as not using the internet...I say just be careful where you go (or TRY) to be careful.

There've been a few times I've been like, "Whoa!  Get out of there".  I remember one time (this was way back in probably 2003 before the internet was like it is now. (More tame back then).

Well, I was going to RE-CANE my cane-back dining room chairs.

So, I put in 'caning' (something like that).  What came up, even today, I shutter to think back.  It was unbelievable!  Let's just say, not good.

My late husband got a real laugh out of it.  He owned a rather large computer company so he was familiar with some of what was on there even back then.  

Let's say, "I was a novice....and kinda still am".

But (as many of you know) I do go looking for various items/articles/pictures, etc.

I learned from my Mother (whom I only knew after I became a teenager) if you want to enjoy life to the fullest, jump in with both feet.  In other words, don't be afraid of life.

One way or another things will come out or get you.  I'm a little luckier than some because my son-in-law downloads various anti-virus stuff on my older than dirt laptop.  He just 'upgraded' it on Friday.

I don't do any banking or much.  I mostly use it for well....QVC and that's about all.

If you want to flip out....google your name or family members, etc.

Everything you didn't want to know will pop up.

So, my adivce (which doesn't mean squat) is use your brain and watch where you go.  Don't put personal information on it....well...don't make it easy for them.

Make them work for it another way...because you bet your .......they will get it if they want to.

Wellsfargo and other large banks, Walmart, Target (you name them) have all been hacked at various times.  They just don't publicize it.

Do you get gas?  Well, I do.  I have a specific card just for that because my card was 'hacked' from the gas pump a few Christmases ago.  They broke into the pump and got the electronic information out of the INSIDE of the pump.  I didn't realize it until Wellsfargo called me.  Guess what?

Wellsfargo doesn't do anything to anyone unless it's over $500.  THAT's what the inspector told me!  Then it's a felony.  Tell that to the people who lost (like I did $485).  Sure, they put the money in but I couldn't use that card until I got a new one.  Who pays for that?  We all do because they just raise their rates.  No sweat off of them!

Phew!  My rant is over.  Here comes yet another storm here in Northern Va.  It was sunny and beautiful.  Now there's thunder and lightening.  I'm surrounded by trees.  

I've been hit (house and trees) at least 4 times!  They were mostly in May!  

Think of me.  I'm going to go get some food.  Love you guys.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just did a quick search of myself and the first entry shows me 40 years older than I am.  I hope to live that long.

OK - I needed a laugh.  I checked again and my middle name is now "William", based on another entry.  Couldn't be farther from the truth.

In both cases my address is correct as well as some of the relatives.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I also totally agree with @FlowerBear and others.  

There's nothing that's private anymore.

Along those lines I was watching (flipping through channels) on Investigation ID and the camera was showing people interacting with the police full face on!

It was crazy to me because they opened up their front door, etc to the police and right in front of them was the camera!

Some of these people are experiencing interacting with the police at one of the most difficult times of their life.  A number of them had called the police because they were having problems that could have been handled without being locked up (which they weren't in some cases) and could have been settled anonymously.

Instead their faces are plastered all over my TV!  I've tried to find out if they have to give the OK AHEAD of time and according to what I've read....that's not the case.

What have we come to in this country that there's no privacy?  For $9.99 you can find out everything about any individual!

My friend used to have an unlisted number.  She paid extra for it.  That was a joke.  Recently, her line broke (or something).  She HAD to get 'fios'.  She no longer had the option of unlisted (she was told).

I get so many fake calls ever day on my land line I don't even answer it anymore and I've turned off the answering machine!

This is absolutely crazy!  I remember when you had to get the individual's signed agreement before they were on TV, but obviously, not anymore.

When we had Fios our number was unlisted.  We paid extra for it.

The only reason it's unlisted is because if you do a reverse look up using the phone number it shows a map and the option of directions.