Super Contributor

Re: Your Opinions: Menu for Costco's $90 Thanksgiving Meal for 8

[ Edited ]

I have purchased a pre-made Thanksgiving dinner before. I can't remember exactly where I bought it, Safeway I think.

Anyway, while I usually love cooking Thanksgiving dinner, I just couldn't that year because, after a long illness, my mother passed away the Monday before that Thanksgiving. I was so overwhelmed emotionally and also busy making funeral arrangements, my heart wasn't in it.

Of all things, I remember that dinner provided some much needed relief from the stress and sadness not just because I didn't have to cook but because of something unintentionally hilarious that happened.

I asked my brother to do just one thing and that was to grab the tray of dressing warming in the oven. Well, you can guess what happened: flimsy pan meets klutzy baby brother and SPLAT! half the dressing hit the floor! He looked mortified saying why didn't I warn him........ warn him about what both my then sister-in-law and I said, do you need instructions on how to remove a pan from the oven and we all burst out laughing. We all really needed a laugh that day to cut through the sadness.

Thanks Safeway.

Honored Contributor

I’m sure that meal will fill the bill for many, but not for my family.   

All my husband and children want on Thanksgiving is a lot of turkey breast, gravy, homemade dressing and cranberry sauce.  I like mashed potatoes with my meal, but can live without them if I’m really not in the mood to cook.  Unless someone specifically asks for a vegetable, I don’t fix one because it will not be eaten.   No one here eats bread with this meal, and dessert is not a priority.   

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m sure this is a lifesaver to many.  It’s not a bad price, my family would want stuffing though.  My sister makes the bird and stuffing and mashed potatoes and the rest of us bring several sides and desserts.  Plenty to share for leftovers and we all share the work.  

The dishwasher does the dishes, I do the pots. but this would work for many.  I believe I saw the Bob Evans pricing near 129 for eight. Never had thanksgiving to go, but then I have family in the same 30 mile radius.  Hope those who order enjoy and like the stress relief.  Many people work or have little family nearby so I’m sure it will work for many.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich, so why are English people celebrating Thanksgiving? 😁😄 Your dinner sounds great as does your $50 off.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have American son-in-law,  American grand kids plus their inlaws.  DD x 2, one granddaughter, DH and myself being the 5 Brits this side of the pond.

p.s. add to dinner we also make - get this - Yorkshire puddings yahoo everyone asks for them at our gatherings!! Lol

Honored Contributor

If anyone is interested I have a stuffing ball recipe on a thread called potluck in the recipe forum. There are 2 different stuffing recipes to  choose from

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think it is a great idea.  Thanksgiving is a gigantic mess and dealing with the leftovers is the worst part.  Nobody should have to schlep all of that food for people.

I give it 5 stars.  And anyone who whined would immediately get my blessings and offers of recipes to cook for everyone a better meal next year at their house. 

It would be a drop-the-apron moment for me for sure! 

I am a mean woman!  Woman Wink

One of the most enjoyable TGs I had was the year I was unable to cook. We ordered a premade dinner from a local grocery deli. It was delicious, and I actually was able to participate in the relaxing day.

Honored Contributor

It wouldn't work for me either but it's not a bad start and you could add your own sides I suppose. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

A friend bought a Thanksgiving meal from Whole Foods last year for her family and loved it.  I don't have a Costco near me but I do have a WF.  May check them out this year.

@kaydee50 

This is too much food for my family, and we don’t eat meat.

However, We have ordered for several years from Whole Foods, the food is very good, we can pick and choose from a good selection - success!

Dessert usually comes from COSTCO, and we make our own dressing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras