Super Contributor

Your Opinions: Menu for Costco's $90 Thanksgiving Meal for 8

I just came across an article by The Kitchn about Costco currently selling a Thanksgiving meal which feeds eight people for $90, down from $105, through November 21st.

Here's the link:

https://www.thekitchn.com/costco-thanksgiving-dinner-box-22967519

The article goes on to say that they (The Kitchn staff) priced the cost of buying groceries for a basic Thanksgiving meal for eight from Costco several years ago--odd that they don't say exactly how many years ago this was done--which was $174.33.

I'd say that $90 seems like a reasonable price especially for those who don't want to do all the work involved preparing Thanksgiving for eight of their nearest and dearest.

Personally, I like cooking Thanksgiving dinner but no judgment from me for those so don't. Also, I know that I could make Thanksgiving dinner for eight for way less than $174 and I'll even make there's wine on the table!😁

My issue is the menu which is:

• 2 Signature Ready-to-Roast Turkey Breasts (2.5 pounds each)
  • Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Gravy (2.5 pounds)
  • Roasted Sweet Potatoes (2 pounds)
  • Petite Brussels Sprouts (24 ounces)
  • Super-Sweet Corn (36 ounces)
  • 3 French Baguettes
  • 9-Inch Traditional Pumpkin Pie
  • 10-Inch Signature Old-Fashioned Apple Pie
  • Classic Vanilla Ice Cream (56 ounces) 

This menu is not even close to what I would cook/serve on Thanksgiving. First of all, I like a whole bird since I prefer to have both dark and white meat and look forward to all the delicious things I can make from the turkey leftovers. Secondly, not interested in either corn or Brussel sprouts on that day; ditto pumpkin pie (we're sweet potato pie people) although apple pie sounds fine. Lastly, did you notice what's missing? No stuffing or cranberry sauce!😮 I always make homemade stuffing and cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving.

As I said, no judging from me about who does what on Thanksgiving: cook, don't cook, order your dinner, go out to a restaurant or ignore the holiday altogether, each to his or her own.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the menu or anything else in this article.

BTW, the writers said that they had a lot of leftover ingredients from that $174.33 meal including five extra cartons of chicken stock, several bottles of cooking oil (guess they deep fried the turkey?) and a 25 pound bag of flour the last of which sounds really strange or they're just pulling our legs!😊

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Opinions: Menu for Costco's $90 Thanksgiving Meal for 8

To me that seems a great deal. Costco food is usually good.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I think it is a great idea.  Thanksgiving is a gigantic mess and dealing with the leftovers is the worst part.  Nobody should have to schlep all of that food for people.

I give it 5 stars.  And anyone who whined would immediately get my blessings and offers of recipes to cook for everyone a better meal next year at their house. 

It would be a drop-the-apron moment for me for sure! 

I am a mean woman!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

The menu is missing some items, as you mentioned, but on the whole, it soulds pretty reasonable to feed that many people. If some one doesn't want to or cannot manage the cooking,it might be useful. 

Honored Contributor

I only make turkey breast, nobody I cook for likes dark meat. I think it's a great idea for many people. I wish we were near a Costco, I might not use that service, but I know many who would welcome the opportunity. Also, the price is great. 🦃🦃

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It's a good price and probably pretty easy for someone  who isn't able to cook or doesn't want to to get a somewhat traditional Thanksgiving meal.

I am sure it will be appreciated by many people, but not me.  I am not a fan of Costco premade food.  Everytime I tried to serve it, it wasn't eaten and I had to toss it.

Apple pie is my DH's favorite, and he wouldn't even eat it.  I had to feed it to the birds.

Super Contributor

Hi @Nancy Drew. I think cost is quite reasonable and agree that Costco has good quality; don't get me started on their cheesecake. Yum!

Honored Contributor

I don't see a thing wrong or missing.  If someone would complain about that meal, I'm not overloaded with sympathy for them!  LOL!!!  

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a great deal to me, considering I will be paying $28 for a 5 lb fresh turkey breast.  Too bad there isn't a near by Costco.   I could easily make my own stuffing and buy a can of cranberry sauce.  But for just the two of us this is way too much food.

But on the other hand, I could freeze 1/2 of the entire meal (except potatoes) and have another Thanksgiving later and still have left overs.

Super Contributor

Tee hee @Sooner at least everybody will know where you stand! 😁Hey, whatever your host/hostess provides just eat it and enjoy the meaning of the day I say.