Honored Contributor

Re: Your Opinion - Do You Think Society Will Be Judged By Computers One Day?

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Maybe.  But there still has to be programming by humans, and there are still appeals.

Did you run the red light?  Did a camera record it and did you get a ticket?  It already happens, to a lesser degree.

As long as there are humans of free will we have the control.

This makes sense to me.

Honored Contributor

Since we are not allowed to turn anything on by hand anymore, our cars drive us, customer service is automated, and our lives and identification are all on computers and no longer in paper anything anymore, I am sure it's already happening.

Just ask anyone who has accidentally been declared dead by a computer. From what I hear, it's literally murder to prove you are still alive even if you show up in person.
Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I wouldn't want it to be computerized, but that seems to be the way of everything now.  Just think about it .. going back maybe 20-30 years when many procedures in an office or elsewhere, took much longer, were tedious chores & see how they've changed.  

But, then again, maybe a computer would make more sense then many judges & juries do - with no thought at all.

Honored Contributor

I doubt that can happen as nothing is that cut and dried during most trials.The computers would decide based on past history and not the current case...so many variables that still haven’t occurred.

Honored Contributor

My late husband owned a large computer company.  He was a systems analyst.

He used to say that you'd put in all of the information into the computer and based on logic (he was all about logic) it would spit out the decision.

No drama, no emotions, etc.  The verdict would come out based on the law as it had been written by the computer language (whatever one they were using).

I just had a discussion with someone who's very knowledgable about how vulnerable this country is about cyber stuff.

This would make it even more.  Ugh!  I don't even want to think about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My late husband owned a large computer company.  He was a systems analyst.

He used to say that you'd put in all of the information into the computer and based on logic (he was all about logic) it would spit out the decision.

No drama, no emotions, etc.  The verdict would come out based on the law as it had been written by the computer language (whatever one they were using).

I just had a discussion with someone who's very knowledgable about how vulnerable this country is about cyber stuff.

This would make it even more.  Ugh!  I don't even want to think about it. 

Are you familiar with the term GIGO (garbage in, garbage out)? 

The information input and the programming done by humans are subject to human error so false logic is a very real probability.  All it would take in the data input is misplaced punctuation or a missed word to render an incorrect, or in some cases an unjust decision.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

"The information input and the programming done by humans are subject to human error so false logic is a very real probability."

Unless you are a Vulcan.

vulcan.jpeg

whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Perhaps that will happen in the distant future but it will be long after any of us are dead and buried.  And I don't believe your judge stories.  You have a jaded view of our judicial system and I am sorry for whatever happened to you that caused that.

Esteemed Contributor

We already are judged to some extent with things like red light cameras.  I would assume that soon cases could be judged based on DNA results.  Perhaps the efficiency is good.

There are some things that are complex and are well served by a jury.  I have been on a long murder trial and saw how we struggled for many days with a verdict.  12 people can exhibit good sense.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Then again,  your freedom and or Life being ruled on by computer,  Maybe it would be a deterant to crime in and of itself.

Little by little we are giving over all the "Mind work" to computers anyway.

Have to be careful that programming computers for the service and protection of humankind they do not read the command as saving us from ourselves.

ETA: check out the story or movie , Colossus: the Forbidden Project.   Takes "the only way to win is not to play" to a different level.