Honored Contributor

@pidgenwil6 Depends what your "them" means.   Scary if "them" are known Taliban leaders or fighters.  Not sure what you are thinking though.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Memories of 9/11

[ Edited ]

Will never forget . Hope that someday , all the 9/11 families questions will be answered . 

I pray that none of my family ever go through what happened to their family members .

I can't wait to see what we will all be saying in  1, 5, 10, 20 years  since  leaving Afghanistan.

Valued Contributor

I live in Ohio but I remember my middle child stayed home from school sick that day. I'd already made a doctor appointment and was watching tv when the reports came on about the first plane flying into the tower. At first people were saying it was a small plane and they were still trying to figure out what happened when here came the second plane hitting the second tower. My husband worked nights and he was alseep in the bedroom. I ran to get him and told him that we were under attack. I remember driving my son to the doctor a few hours later and thinking about how it was an absolutely beautiful day outside but how could that be? I was looking at the surroundings with new eyes and everything felt so surreal. I got to the pediatrician's office and it was so quiet in there, you could hear a pin drop. In a pediatricians office! Everyone was so subdued and no small talk was exchanged.  I then had to go to the pharmacy to get medication, which was located inside a large grocery store. I went inside and again, it was extremely quiet. It was like everyone was in total shock and nobody was talking at all.

I remember being very thankful that my husband's work closed down that night so he was able to stay home with us. I had dreaded his leaving that night. I didn't think our world was ever going to be even close to normal again.

Honored Contributor

Shocked, scared, could not beleive what i was seeing,i felt so sorry what those people went through,we must always remember,because it is the only thing all of us can do.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I wish that people for once could leave the inappropriate comments out of this topic. 

I remember emailing back and forth with my Mom as it was unfolding, both of us shocked and horrified. I remember walking my dog that I had at the time, sitting in the park with her and no planes flying overhead. Staring at the lowered flag and crying. I remember feeling for the longest time that the ground beneath my feet wasn't even a sure thing.

Impossible to believe it has been 20 years. Bless everyone who was lost that day, and their families and friends.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Regular Contributor

I found out when I went to go to work around 9:45 and heard John Boy and Billy talking about it. Ran back into the house to turn on the tv thinking it was some kind of sick joke.  It wasn't.

At that time I worked at a conveince store right outside of a then small military base.

They started that day checking every car that came thru the gate with full car searches and checking under for bombs.  This went on  for about a week so I started walking to work. It took me 15 minutes to walk and over an hour in traffic if I drove.

My husband had a year left to retirement but he didn't get home till late the next morning.  I remember he woke me up while I was having a happy dream back into the nightmare that we were living in.

He retired before he had to go to any wars and then was diagnosed with MS which they think was service related from getting the Antrax shot when he went to Saudi for a short tour.

I still can't believe it has been 20 years.

Honored Contributor

My thought was for the lives lost and that the world would never be the same.  That was still my take recently. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Your Memories of 9/11

[ Edited ]

I felt ill that day so I stayed home from work. Stayed in bed and got up late. Then I opened my computer and eventually looked at the news.

Initially I thought it was a really bad joke. Some weird promotion for a disaster movie. Computer generated. I searched online to find out what it was about. I still found it hard to believe.

I didn't turn on the news because I knew they would keep showing the horrible footage over and over like they always did with terrorist attacks. I just refreshed the BBC website to see what was happening. And when I eventually looked at my phone I had so many voicemails.

I think that not watching the news helped me avoid some of the trauma that affected a lot of people who were nowhere near the sites. I was still horrified. And for about 24 hours my thoughts were really mean and vengeful. I wanted us to level entire countries for daring to do such a thing. And then after a bit I evened out and just wanted to locate and disable the terrorist network that had done it. As well as bring justice to everyone everywhere who aided and abetted the attacks. I kept track of the damage and rescues, but I didn't watch the horrifying images or listen to the audio.

I remember seeing footage of a baby strapped to the front of her daddy (one of those papoose things that straps to your front, sort of like a forward facing backpack) as he jogged them away from the wreckage. It was all hazy behind them. The dad looked determined and strong and the baby looked perfectly fine and almost happy. And that made me feel so much better somehow. The baby was being taken away from danger and had no idea what was even happening. As far as she knew they might have just been taking a little jog around the block for fun. Somehow, that image gave me a lot of peace and stuck with me.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor
When I look back on that infamous day I think back to the weekend before, Barry and I returned from a cruise, I had wanted to go out on deck and see the skyline as we arrived in the City, his reply was you have seen it 100s of times before, little did we both know that three days later it and our lives would be changed forever.
The experiences of September 11, 2001 changed my life forever. I lived all the way out Brooklyn and was working at 26 Broadway at the time, the same job but I had a real office On September 11, 2001.
My Express Bus was just left the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel when one of
the passengers got a called a plane had crashed in to the Trade Center. Traffic as almost at a stand still but we were able to get out of the tunnel. When we were out of the tunnel we were able to see the Tower burning, the driver let us exit the bus, since he had no idea when traffic was going to start to move, there were people running in all directions.
I was about 3 blocks south of the WTC when the 2nd plane hit. I heard a massive explosion and felt the chards of glass and paper. Its funny that is the one of the few sounds I recall of that day, my memory has seemed to block all the sounds from that day out of my mind.
I was able to make it to my office about 2 blocks away. When I got there I started piece together what had occurred, we were essentially under terrorist attack. I sat at my desk unable to move for a long time. I called my loved ones to let them know I was OK. My husband who works for the Federal Gov. was on high alert, we was both to crazed and to busy at the time to even hear my story.
My boss, myself and our intern Danielle, all sat in out office on the corner of Broadway and Beaver and heard the implosion of the first tower and then say the clouds of black smoke that filled the air, about an hour later we heard the same again.
I spent much of that day on the phone with my Mom and my editor who lives in North Carolina and on line with a cousin when was in school up in Saratoga. We had power but no air conditioning, it had been shut down as not to bring in the debris. The other side west side of the street had no power at all.
We finally left the area at about 2 PM, it was a surreal ghostly site, and ash covered streets. One or two lone people walking aimsley a few Govt agents with jackets ID'ing them as to their agency and Police Offices very solemn doing the best they could to keep up the good fight.
We walked down Water Street to the Brooklyn Bridge, thinking we would walk over it and then end up at my bosses sons house. We were lucky that NYC was running buses over the Bridge, we got to the other side, and our Intern who lived down the street from me saw a bus that would get us close to home.
I was fine until I waked into my apt, then I started to cry and did not stop for the next week. I knew I would be home alone that night and called a friend to come stay with me, I knew that it would be very hard to spend the night alone. He slept on my living chair and I slept on the couch I did not want to be alone that night.
The Trade Center had always played a large part in my life, my Dad watched it being built, his office was right across the street, we celebrated my Parents 25th Anniversary at Windows on the World, at one point Barry worked at 6 WTC, one of the smaller buildings and when I worked on John street I would be there all the time, shopping either at Century 21 or at the many shops in the Towers themselve
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I wish that people for once could leave the inappropriate comments out of this topic. 

I remember emailing back and forth with my Mom as it was unfolding, both of us shocked and horrified. I remember walking my dog that I had at the time, sitting in the park with her and no planes flying overhead. Staring at the lowered flag and crying. I remember feeling for the longest time that the ground beneath my feet wasn't even a sure thing.

Impossible to believe it has been 20 years. Bless everyone who was lost that day, and their families and friends.

@Greeneyedlady21 I too hope we can keep the inappropriate comments out and keep this thread going. Saying I enjoy reading the comments isn't correct, I feel it kind of bonds us together reading about what we all felt that day.