Honored Contributor

Yes to all those emotions---was devastated when we broke up!!! Have never felt that way for anyone altho I did marry,  but we divorced this year after 47years. Never felt that way for the ex, ever in all that time. It is a huge relief to be divorced!!!

Honored Contributor

My first love and lover was a guy who I  knew from high school....a few years later  I met him again and we started dating. He was my first love.... The only thing I remember from the relationship is that he told me I had UGLY FEET... and to this day I have thought of my feet as ugly.When   I ask my now Husband of 40 plus years if HE THINKS MY FEET ARE UGLY... he tells me NO. .....  I guess I will keep him!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

We were in our church youth group together and dated but just drifted apart/away after we graduated high school.  About 20 years later his sister called me out of the blue and wanted to know if it would be OK if her brother called me some time.  We were both single at that time so I told her yes.  He called a few weeks later and we ended up dating  for quite awhile but just realized we were two different people to have any kind of future together.  I'm friends with his sister on facebook and have looked at her brother's profile.  He's married now and I wish him much happiness but glad that chapter of my life is closed.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Your First "Love"

[ Edited ]

I met the first boy I truly had feelings for in our American History class; I was a sophomore, he was a junior.  He was also on the late bus run, so we talked after school every day.

I found out his birthday and his home address and surprised him with a card and note over the summer.  He wrote back, sent some of his funny cartoon artwork, and told me about his busy summer on the farm,  He was excited because his dad bought him a used car for his 17th birthday.   His parents were divorced, dad lived in another state, and was not very attentive to his children in those first years after the split.  

Once school started, we didn't share any classes, but talked every afternoon in bus room.  He had a job at a local grocery store on Friday evenings and all day Saturday, and was going to start saving for college.  

And then early one Saturday morning in October, my uncle showed up at my house around 9 a.m., with the newspaper.  There on the front page was a picture of a wrecked car and the headline "local student killed in head-on crash"; he died at the scene of the crash on Friday evening.  On his way home from work, was left of center in driving too fast, and hit another car head-on in a curve.  

I was devastated.  I attended his funeral, met his family, and received a very nice note from his mother weeks later.  I stayed in touch with his grandparents for about 12 years until they passed, and was thought of as another grandchild.  

My heart still holds a special pocket filled with his memory.   

Respected Contributor

My 1st love was the best friend of my best friend's brother. I was a HS Freshman, he was a Junior--my parents only let me date him because I'd already known him for about 6 months. He broke up with me about 9 months later because I wouldn't have s*x  with him! Of course, I was heartbroken!

It was a blessing, though---not only did I meet my DH the following year (it would be 5 more years before we married), but I found out years later that the 1st guy was kind a of a bigwig with a lifestyle I would NOT have enjoyed.

DH & I have been married almost 47 years, and I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, with exactly the person I'm supposed to be with.

Honored Contributor

It's been so much fun reading these! Thank you for sharing your stories!

My first SERIOUS love was in college. I was pledging a sorority and they "surprised" us with a dance we had to ask someone to. Some of us didn't have boyfriends. My two best friends told me to ask this one guy who was really popular and always the life of the party. They said he would take me as a friend. He was in a fraternity and those guys were always hanging around our dorm. I was so nervous. I knew him, but I never thought he'd be interested in me. He was involved in everything and he was very good looking. He wasn't really my type- I liked blond beach guys, and he was Italian.

It turns out he was. He was also graduating. We were inseparable the rest of the year, and kept in touch after he graduated. He wasn't close to the college, but came to visit a lot. One night he lost his temper and threw something at me. He apologized, but I started to realize how possessive and controlling he could be. 

That was it for me. We had a fun three years, but it was over. He married after I did and lives far away. We do have friends in common from college.

Looking back I think I was in love with the idea of being in love. The real thing came along a few years later for me!  I could never imagine my life without DH. Smiley Happy