Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your First "Love"

[ Edited ]

@sweetee2 wrote:

Oh yes, he lived two houses away and his sister and I  were best friends.  He was  my first kiss and first date.  I was hook. We dated off and on from 9 grade through high school. Did I  forget to mention I was hooked. Anyway he went off to collage  and came home for Christmas Break engaged. His sister called to tell me.

He ended up marrying another girl in the neighborhood.  I ran into someone  that knew them and she said I had  dodged a bullet. 

I saw his Obbituary 2 weeks before Christmas. He had died from a horrible bout of cancer. I was surprised how hurt I  was.

@sweetee2 

I would imagine you were! I saw an obit for the guy we all had crushes on in jr. high and it affected me more than I would have expected.  Like in my mind he would stay young and handsome forever and never die.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

There was a guy that sat with my friends and I at the pool deep end in the grass.

He was cute to me, but I was more "sheltered" than he was.

I can't remember what happened.  We never dated.

At the same time, a boy several years younger who was on his way to being a black belt in karate, informed me I "was the girl of his dreams" at a high school reunion! 

He was slightly quiet, I am still outgoing.

I wanted to date him at the time.  His mother and my step mother sat together at the pool.

I was waiting to be asked out, and my step mother was telling his mother I was leaving (I was only an hour away).

I went away to college.  He never came up, wrote me a letter (public phonebooks had addresses), or anything.

That doesn't work out decades later, but he felt he needed to share.

Respected Contributor

Mine was in high school and went on and off for four years after high school.  He wasn't always faithful and I should of just walked away many, many times but I loved him.  My Mom told me that I'd have a hard life with him.  She never said more than that or explained herself.  

Esteemed Contributor

My first love was in the military. He was just out of college and had to do time in the military to pay off his student loans. ROTC I guess. He wanted kids, I did not. I was really more in love with my now husband at the time. 

Regular Contributor

My high school boyfriend was my first love.  We started dating when I was a sophomore and he was a junior.  When he left for college we gave each other permission to date others.  We both did.  When he came home for Thanksgiving we called it quits.  I've seen him a few times over the last 30 years and my heart did skip a few beats.  Both of us are married with families.  He still looks good.

Trusted Contributor

I am blessed to have married my first and only love. We met Sophomore year in High School....we were married a month after we graduated. We will be married 47 years next month...been together for 50 years. He's an absolute gem....love him so much.❤️

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for sharing! 

It is totally enjoyable to read each one.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16 and I went to an all girl's school so I didn't really date in h.s.  I had a few dates my senior year with my best friends brother and he took me to my senior prom but I wasn't in love.  Looking back, I think that was blessing because my heart didn't get battered and bruised at a young age.    I got to grow up before I dealt with falling in love.  I married my first real love.  I met him in a bookstore my 2nd year of college when I was 18, he was 19.   He was in nursing school, the nursing school students took their academic classes at my college.  We bonded over Sci fi books and met for lunch a few times before he asked me out.  I already liked him as a person, I fell in love with him on our second or third date.  I just knew he was the one.  It took him a little longer but he got there.  We've been married for 38 years. 

Respected Contributor

This is happening to me right now and I SO enjoyed reading everyone's story!

High school first love, he was 16 and I was still 15. We dated about 2 years and he was very upset when I got my drivers license. Perhaps he felt he was losing me because I would be independent. I ended it, I wanted my freedom and didn't regret it.

Fast forward to now. I recently left him an email that I tracked down. Mentioned had lost good friends and we are Seniors now, might be nice to keep in touch AS FRIENDS only as I'm so not into dating at all. His birthday was coming up so I suggested I'd like to take him out to celebrate and I did. 

He fought a bout with lung cancer but is doing ok so far. He had 2 failed marriages adult child has nothing to do with him even during his struggle with cancer!  How strange... clearly something alienated her.

Feel sorry for him and wish him continued good health. I think we can meet up once a month for lunch or something, just friends. 

Honored Contributor

My first? We were born a few months apart and lived in the same block.  For many years, he lived directly across the street. Then his family moved a few houses down. We were inseparable, played together everyday. I loved his family, including his grandparents on both sides, too. Sometimes we'd ride our bikes to go visit them. He and I ended up attending different schools.  As we got older he played park district little league so sometimes I'd go watch the games. Little by little we started drifting apart, me spending more time with girlfriends and him playing ball, having a paper route, friends from his school, etc. Each of our families ended up leaving the old neighborhood and we lost touch.  It was many years later after we were both married and had kids that we reconnected.  The last time I saw him was at his mom's funeral service about 10-11 years ago.  We are Facebook friends but he doesn't post much.