Honored Contributor

Re: Your First Major News Story

@Mersha wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

JFK assassination.  I remember waiting outside for my school bus and heard about it.  I was 9.  I also remember that day because there was this girl who bullied me all the time.  I was trying to remain invisible to hide from her but she found me.  She pushed me up against the brick school building and hit my head and pulled my hair.  I hated school.  From day one kindergarten.  

@rms1954   I am so sorry you had to deal with bullying.  No child should ever be subjected to that.  It must have been very difficult to go to school every day.

Thank you for being kind.  I never told anyone.  It was worse at home as my mother was abusive to me also.  

Respected Contributor

It was the Bay of Pigs invasion.  Everyone was scared.  I was in 6th grade and we had a special assembly to talk about it and pray for our country.  

Respected Contributor

This is a great  topic!

I remember my class going to a students home to watch the Stevenson- Eisenhower debate. Then I remember my parents  being very sad at the election outcome. I believe I was in first grade.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Kennedy being shot and the immediate response of his wife.  It seemed surreal.

Same for me.

Yes, the same for me too. I can still see it in my mind's eye to this day. My beloved third grade teacher, Mrs. Noble, was called into the hall by the principal. Then when she came back she was upset and trying not to cry. It definitely got my/our attention. I loved her so as she was so nice and always happy and smiling. We all knew something terrible had happened. I don't remember much after that other then I think she did tell us we would be going home early that day.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MezzieStarr wrote:

The Challenger Explosion.  I was in elementary school.  We had spent the whole month of January studying NASA.

They had us watch the launch live on tv. The tragedy happened and they sent us all home from school early.

I remember everyone being in shock/disbelief. Silence in the classroom among the students. Teachers crying.

Probably the first time that many of us as children experienced death.

It is burned into my memory like it happened yesterday.

@MezzieStarr 

@Grade1Teach 

I remember that day vividly. My science students and I were watching the launch live. It was hyped a lot, because of the teacher astronaut on board. I was trying to comfort my class after it happened. They were all visibly upset, and I was just trying my best to "hold it together". 

Honored Contributor

My first news story memory as a child was Apollo 11 landing on the moon. We were watching it live on TV. Amazing stuff. 

Respected Contributor

My mother used to watch General Hospital at 3:00 every afternoon and I remember it being pre-empted for the Watergate hearings.  But I think the first news story I remember as a child was the Isreali hostages at the 1972 summer olympics.  I would have been 4 1/2 at the time. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your meaningful remembrances.

It was interesting reading them all.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Probably when Reagan got shot.

Trusted Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think when Eisenhower was elected president.  He had that catchy "I like Ike" slogan which would appeal to a child.

I remember my grandfather wearing an "I Like Pin".  

@Mersha    Sorry...meant to say "I Like Ike" pin.....