Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Your Feelings About: AMA Urges Schools To Start Later

[ Edited ]

You my dear, are an asset to the human race. You are a class A teacher, and in all that you have done. If I were military, I'd salute you. Really I commend you and all you've done, you are a true treasure to the youth and those you have worked for beyone the $$. Thank you. @ECBG

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 1st period class each day for years was 8th grade-14 yr. olds. Many were half asleep, but we scheduled my lass that way to have the kiddos more awake for LA and Math classes.

School calendars and the school day was established over 100 yrs. ago when we, as Americans, ran by a largely agricultural society  day (no artificial lights for the most part) or the 2nd Industrial Revolution when factory statrts began @ 6am/7am.

Respected Contributor

Right.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's called "going to bed earlier."  Drop the electronics, set up a routine to calm down, and you can get enough sleep.  That's especially true for younger people who can fall and stay asleep better than adults.

If you train kids that the day starts later, how will they do with a job that requires being there at 8 a.m.?

When I was a kid, I went to bed at 8-9 p.m.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Valued Contributor

@maestra wrote:

My 1st period class each day for years was 8th grade-14 yr. olds. Many were half asleep, but we scheduled my lass that way to have the kiddos more awake for LA and Math classes.

@School calendars and the school day was established over 100 yrs. ago when we, as Americans, ran by a largely agricultural society  day (no artificial lights for the most part) or the 2nd Industrial Revolution when factory statrts began @ 6am/7am.

This makes complete sense.  We need to take into account the stimulus is different in modern times.

This thread made me think back to high school, pre-electronics and internet- I can remember being up very late, studying and watching Tom Snyder.  I was always exhausted in the morning.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my son was in grammar school, he was in a magnet program for gifted children. The bus took 45 minutes each day to get to school, which was basically a 5 minute car ride for me (we lived just past the one mile mark).

I ended up driving him to school every day - and he started walking in 7th grade. 

If he stayed on the bus - that would have been 90 minutes each day. I remember that it exhausted him in kindergarten.

Respected Contributor

Our cirrcadian sleep patterns are very much effected by electronics, esp. kiddos, ut I cannot get parents to take the cell phones, tablets, Ipad, etc away from the chiuldren.

It is necessary for about 1 hour prior to sleeping; this is true for my ADHD students-it interrupts or challenges sleep patterns.

Sleep is when the body repairs itself, chldren in adolescence grow (esp. the brain!!!); that is why sleep deprivation is used as a torture.

When the electric lightbulb began to be used extensively in homes the sleep patterns of millions of Americans changed dramatically.

Prior to that if most people slept 6-7 hours, and woke at about 3-4am, they would place a candle in a front window or on the front porch to let neighbors know that they could come and visit.

The electric light bulb added to the 'light over the front porch' or in the window.