Honored Contributor

Re: Your Feelings About: AMA Urges Schools To Start Later

@Sooner wrote:

Some people go from high school to a job.  What do you do then?  I think parents need to see that their kids get a routing and enough sleep to adjust to the world--teens especially that is.  Good grief.  The world doesn't run on our every need.  This night person had to adjust to the schedule the world keeps.  It isn't easy, but it can be done.  Jobs don't change hours for you.

But that is old think.  Today, the world must adjust to everyone's individual needs.  That's part of why we are in such a mess. . . 

@SoonerAgree with you totally.  Great post.

IMO, it's too bad that parents didn't collect cell phones in the evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Teens who are not working need to put the phones away and go to sleep.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Minneapolis has been juggling school start times for years.  As someone who at one time worked with juveniles in criminal justice, I am vehemently against a late start time for older students.  

As stated upthread, children are often the product of working parents. Truancy runs rampant, and can sometimes be attributed to Johnny's parents  already enroute/at work and not available to ensure he gets out of bed and finds his way to school.  

I also feel a regimented routine of responsibility should be taught at home from elementary through high school so that parents are truly shaping their children for what lies ahead.

And last, how many of you work with 20-30 year olds who come tripping into their place of employment 45 minutes late every single day?  It is the culture we have created.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG,

To have taught as long as you have with the age groups you have, I think what you have seen would be a good answer to that. I'll read more on other answers, but I wonder what you have observed in all your years of teaching. ???

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I think all these "experts" are just guessing..............

I do too. 

Here is how I see it. For the bulk of the real world, the day starts early. Kids need to get used to that by high school. 

Changing their start time is only going to allow them to go to bed even later. Most will get no additional sleep, or do anything constructive with that change.

There are always going to be the same 24 hours in the day, so learn to use them wisely, plan your time, including sleep time. Because when you go to college, get jobs that can run many different shifts, and have to make it all work, you are going to need that skill, so learn it now. Learn how to judge when you need to go to bed in order to get the sleep you need, based on where you have to be and when, and let's stop reworking the whole world for our kids. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Some people go from high school to a job.  What do you do then?  I think parents need to see that their kids get a routing and enough sleep to adjust to the world--teens especially that is.  Good grief.  The world doesn't run on our every need.  This night person had to adjust to the schedule the world keeps.  It isn't easy, but it can be done.  Jobs don't change hours for you.

But that is old think.  Today, the world must adjust to everyone's individual needs.  That's part of why we are in such a mess. . . 

@SoonerAgree with you totally.  Great post.

IMO, it's too bad that parents didn't collect cell phones in the evening.

Until my son graduated high school, there was no cell phone in the bedroom at night. Period.

Parents need to take back the control of their homes, their kids and develop some expectations.

Respected Contributor

My kids play/played volleyball in high school.

On practice nights, they wouldn't get home sometimes until 6:30.  By the time they finished dinner and showered, they were up doing homework until very late.  My oldest sometimes would be up til 12 or 1 am.  She wasn't on her phone or social media.  She was doing homework. 

Game nights, they don't usually get home until 9 or 10, depending on where the game was. 

Getting a little bit of extra sleep in the mornings would have been nice.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I think all these "experts" are just guessing..............

I do too. 

Here is how I see it. For the bulk of the real world, the day starts early. Kids need to get used to that by high school. 

Changing their start time is only going to allow them to go to bed even later. Most will get no additional sleep, or do anything constructive with that change.

There are always going to be the same 24 hours in the day, so learn to use them wisely, plan your time, including sleep time. Because when you go to college, get jobs that can run many different shifts, and have to make it all work, you are going to need that skill, so learn it now. Learn how to judge when you need to go to bed in order to get the sleep you need, based on where you have to be and when, and let's stop reworking the whole world for our kids. 

I agree.  How many are really going to get more sleep just because school starts later? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had the "meanest" parents on earth. 

Strict bedtimes!!!!-

seven thirty til high school and nine all through high school. 

If I didn't finish home work I could set my alarm for as early as I wanted.

When my kids were in school I stuck to the seven thirty in elementary rule, and sometimes stretched the nine o'clock rule in high school.

I want to add that I think that kids now have way too much homework, and far too many outside activities.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does this mean that the kids will have to stay in school an hour later?  Teachers, too.   Around here, the moms 'drop off' their kids around 8am, more or less and then head for work.  (Most of them, if not all, are in a huge hurry.)   And they (or dads/grandparents/relatives) pick up the kids at around 3:15.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).