Honored Contributor

Your Feelings About: AMA Urges Schools To Start Later

I don't know if this will help having taught juniors and seniors thirty six years.  Also in the mix, dysfunctional parents who don't have many if any guidelines.

CHICAGO, June 14 (Reuters) - The American Medical Association on Tuesday urged starting school later in the morning for teenagers so they can get enough sleep.
In a new policy adopted on Tuesday, the AMA said middle and high schools should start at 8:30 a.m. at the earliest because research has shown that puberty is accompanied by a biological shift in circadian rhythm that contributes to later bedtimes and wake-up times in adolescents.

The influential doctors group said nearly 10 percent of U.S. high schools today begin at or before 7:30 a.m. as districts try to make time for additional classes, sports and extracurricular activities.

Tips to help you sleep better:

SEE PHOTOS
6 PHOTOS

Inadequate sleep has been linked to a host of mental and physical problems, from poor memory performance and mood disorders to impaired immune function and unhealthy body mass index, the AMA said.

"Sleep deprivation is a growing public health issue affecting our nation's adolescents, putting them at risk for mental, physical and emotional distress and disorders," said Dr. William Kobler, an AMA board member.

"Scientific evidence strongly suggests that allowing adolescents more time for sleep at the appropriate hours results in improvements in health, academic performance, behavior, and general well-being," he added.

Only 32 percent of American teens in a recent study reported getting at least eight hours of sleep on an average school night. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends teenagers between 14 and 17 years old should get 8.5 to 9.5 hours of sleep per night.

The AMA's new policy, adopted at the group's annual meeting in Chicago, also encourages physicians to educate parents, school administrators and teachers about the importance of sleep for adolescent mental and physical health. (Reporting by Susan Kelly; Editing by Sandra Maler)

Honored Contributor

Re: Your Feelings About: AMA Urges Schools To Start Later

YES!!! It's about time!

When we lived in Texas, DD (first grade) caught the bus at 6:50. She was home early enough to play outside and do a "little" bit of homework, as first graders should do. Middle school was next, and the high school started at 9. One of the supposed reasons for this was the board wanted the younger children home (or in a program) before the older high school children were out.

Where we live now is the exact opposite. The high school bus comes at 6:25 and a bunch of sleepy teenagers roam the halls. The elementary school ends at 3:40, and most of the kids don't get home until after well after 4. There isn't much time to play outside. The before and after school programs for working parents are packed. 

I like the early start for younger children and the later start for teenagers much better. It just makes more sense! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think all these "experts" are just guessing..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

👏👍👏👍     I argued that point the whole time my son was in high school!  Three days a week he started his day at 5:30a with swim practice...kids truly suffered with lack of sleep because the school had to make time for additional classes, sports and extracurricular activities...don't know how he did it and thankful he

was hardly home sick and that he did so well in school, sports and extracurricular activities.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I don't know if this will help having taught juniors and seniors thirty six years.  Also in the mix, dysfunctional parents who don't have many if any guidelines.

CHICAGO, June 14 (Reuters) - The American Medical Association on Tuesday urged starting school later in the morning for teenagers so they can get enough sleep.
In a new policy adopted on Tuesday, the AMA said middle and high schools should start at 8:30 a.m. at the earliest because research has shown that puberty is accompanied by a biological shift in circadian rhythm that contributes to later bedtimes and wake-up times in adolescents.

The influential doctors group said nearly 10 percent of U.S. high schools today begin at or before 7:30 a.m. as districts try to make time for additional classes, sports and extracurricular activities.

@ECBG,

In starting classes an hour later doesn't that just give kids the opportunity to stay up later?

I did read on MedPage, actually, that teens need at least 10 hours of sleep a night, just like younger chidren. Now, if our workday could be pushed up an hour I'd be a happy camper.

dee

Respected Contributor

This could cause problem for families in which there's not a stay-at-home parent.  What if the older kid is needed to baby-sit the younger kids some days when the younger one gets home from school? 

Honored Contributor

I think high school is where kids atart to learn a few realities about life and one of those is - you have to be there on time or face the consequences. The last 2 years of high school I had majorette practice at 7AM every morning then I worked at a bakery from  6 to 10 PM three evenings a week.I learned how to budget my time, and not waste it. It was good for me , though I was tired. 

Honored Contributor

Some people go from high school to a job.  What do you do then?  I think parents need to see that their kids get a routing and enough sleep to adjust to the world--teens especially that is.  Good grief.  The world doesn't run on our every need.  This night person had to adjust to the schedule the world keeps.  It isn't easy, but it can be done.  Jobs don't change hours for you.

But that is old think.  Today, the world must adjust to everyone's individual needs.  That's part of why we are in such a mess. . . 

Esteemed Contributor

I can understand letting adolescents getting more sleep.  Also, they don't need to do as much if any caffeine at all.  Sugar too as it is a stimulant. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

My close friends;   the husband worked days and the wife worked nights so one parent would always be home for the kids.    Believe me, the parents sacrificed.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥