Honored Contributor

Re: Your Feeling About Gender Reveal Parties

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@TW wrote:

Oklahoma is in extreme drought and burn bans are everywhere.  Yesterday one of those gender reveal parties caused a huge wildfire because one of those brainless idiots shot tannerite.  Can't fix stupid.I hope they have to pay all the fire fighters and burned down buildings. 

Omgosh that's AWFUL.

@Lucky Charm , a gender reveal party was also what started the El Dorado fire in California that burned over 20,000 acres.  I believe the couple was charged with 30 crimes.

Regular Contributor

Some will want to draw attention to themselves because they believe it's all about them. What is the purpose of these parties? Gifts?  I put it in the same category as Engagement parties. Another ridiculous 'look at me' scenario. 

Honored Contributor

I find them just an opportunity to use their expected child to show off and get attention. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't think they are necessary but so many couples are having them now because like many other affairs they feel they should.   I have been to some mostly for realtives and never thought I was expected to bring a gift.  So I never have!  And I never will!  And I do agree the younger generations these days are just going a little too far!

However, a few of the guests at the parties I did attend did bring a gift.   Our own choice I guess!

Valued Contributor

I don't think these parties have much of a future. These are only ASSIGNED gender reveal parties.  Nowadays things change.

Honored Contributor

@781Florist,

This is about the gender of a baby to be born when the couple do not know if the baby is a boy or girl until it is revealed at the party.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

All of the above mentioned are completely ridiculous in my opinion outside of IMMEDIATE family only. Otherwise it's a money/gift grab. Let's be honest. 3rd cousins twice removed and your co-workers spouses parents being invited to all these endless wedding/engagement/baby pre & post parties/events are just people opening up a bank for the hour to have others fund their wanna be lifestyle. You can sugar coat it any way you like, but I don't think I'm wrong.
Trusted Contributor

When my youngest daughter was married 6 yrs ago, the craze was to have "couples showers" where both the bride and the groom set up registries. I got invited to one two years ago and the groom had registered for expensive tools like a chainsaw, riding mower, a set of expensive, professional-grade power tools, and a full set of Hartmann luggage. The bride-to-be had registered for the usual kitchen and home things. They also set up a gofundme account for their honeymoon trip to New Zealand.  I passed. The mother of the bride had invited everyone in her office and it was a clear gift grab since none of us had ever met her daughter.

Trusted Contributor

I was born in the '50s and am just as appalled. When couples are both working professionals and are expecting a baby, they should not be expecting baby gifts on multiple occasions, tacky! 

Respected Contributor

Just another example of the grandstanding shown by millenials. Just like their social media posts, parade of photos and tweets. Very grateful to be be born before the world went to hell.