Honored Contributor

Re: Your Feeling About Gender Reveal Parties

So there's a pregnant bride, meaning you're already looking at a bridal shower gift, wedding gift, baby shower gift, and likely a meet the baby gift, all this year.  That's a lot!

I know people who have privately done their own simple gender reveals with immediate family (meaning in the backyard with their current children) and others who have had a bigger party.  This may sound harsh, but it's an attention seeking gift grab and totally unnecessary, IMO. DH made excellent guesses for ours, he was correct each time, but we never knew the gender of our kids until they were born. Aside from the baby shower (usually only for #1 unless a late surprise happened), gifts were normally given when people came over to meet the baby.  It seems everyone needs to find a reason to have a party, to be the center of attention, and outdo the other guy these days.  Not my cup of tea. Be surprised in the delivery room. 

Regular Contributor

I see nothing wrong with a celebration. If you don't like it stay home.

Trusted Contributor

In my world, you do 1 baby shower and that's it. If you want to combine a gender reveal with the baby shower, go for it. I think the gender reveal should be part of the invite (meaning just tell everyone already) so people can purchase items gender related (if that's how the couple wants it) but that's me. I hated generic stuff plus I loved knowing that I wouldn't have to buy anything new since I had all boys, lol (money saved!).

Now, having 2 separate parties so you can grab more gifts? Yeah, no. I'll pass on at least one of them. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

To me it is a waste of time and money.  Thetime is subjective, because the people who are throwing these parties dont mind.   Seems like it something that has gonetoo far because it has gone mainstream andpeople think they have to hav eone.  What ever happened to the element of surprise?  JMHO nothing else.

seems  like this is one-upmanship with baby showers, parties just started goingamuk in mid 80's.  Kids birthday parties used t be a party, games, maybe a clown or pizza.  Then they went to those Discovery gym places, kid discovery centers, huge Chuckie Cheese parties, Huge expensive parties.  Parents paying 200-400 then for parties.  Then that wast good enough.  Then it was petting zoos, giving gifts to party goers, excursions, movies   Running huge amts of money    My mom had a renter back in the late 80's 90's who couldnt pay rent , she fessed up she had to have a party for her child and it cost 500, and she was short.  She would pay.my mom weeks later... but the sympathy...  shall we say was nothing anymore for this frivolity  lol.  Anyway, long rambling story...but you getmy point  i feel the same way about reveal parties.   As Emily Latella would say, "never mind",  lol

Honored Contributor

I feel so dumb that I did this, but I need to fess up.  A few years ago there was a thread on this forum titled  somthing like, MY DAUGHTER HAD A GENDER REVEAL PARTY.  Well, never hearing about these parties before,as I am removed from the shower circut now as no one in the family has nad a  baby in a while   I thought it was a party for coming out, or someone changing their gender.  Lol   The nameGender Reveaal puts other meanings in my head lol

Honored Contributor

I find them ridiculous and immature.  I will leave it at that.

Respected Contributor

If one must, hopefully they don't burn 22,000 acres of forest.

Esteemed Contributor

Me too @KACEE1115   My husband and I opted not to reveal gender during sonogram until baby was born

Esteemed Contributor

To me, they are annoying and stupid, but "to each their own."

Honored Contributor

If I was invited to one, I'd feel obligated to bring a gift.  But, I've never been invited to one.  Have no idea if my kids have, but, they're old, too.  LOL

Usually baby showers, you know whether you're buying for a boy or a girl.

I didn't want to know what my first grandchild was going to be, and it shouldn't have been a big deal as we lived 5 states away and don't do facebook.  But kids decided no one would know. 

Other grandmother wasn't happy with me because of that.

Sometimes I think the couples just want to have a party and this is their  good reason to have a party.  So many times you see the pink or blue blow up in their faces, literally, like up their nostrils. 

Whatever.....