Honored Contributor

Your FAVORITE Or WORST Job And Why?

I have ALWAYS loved flowers, and worked in a flower shop for a time as a teenager.😊 Learning to care for the flowers and make the BEAUTIFUL❤ arrangements is something I still appreciate to this day! I have had several good jobs since that time; a few that I LOVED❤, but working at the flower shop was my favorite!😁

What  is your favorite or  worst job?

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

Re: Your FAVORITE Or WORST Job And Why?

I loved all my different positions in my career in the school system. However, I LOVED accounting. I may be of the rare breed, but I love numbers and I worked in payroll. Every day, all day, was like solving a puzzle. I enjoyed it immensely but I missed the contact with kids and staff so eventually transferred back into the schools.

I did not like working at Kaiser. Oh geez, that was the worst. I would set up appointments for patients and every day, ALL day, people would yell and be so rude if I couldn't get them an appointment. The thing was, I had no control. The system is ran according to doctor's schedules, if a doctor would not work extra then there was nothing we could do. I did feel for these people, they were not feeling well and would take it out on us. Tough job.

Respected Contributor

Another great post !  Before I became a nurse I worked as a nurses aide at a nursing home and although rewarding in helping those patients that were confused ( one old gentleman thought he was at a hotel and when he couldn't get out of the building he would tell us "I will remember you at tipping time !") Woman LOL  My favorite job as a nurse was working in the Hospital newborn nursery for 9 years. Loved caring for the babies and being in the delivery room seeing the love and smiles on the parents faces with the birth of their child.

Trusted Contributor

@SandySparkles Another good ?, thank you.

When my kids were young & me going through a divorce 40 years ago I was a waitress at a downtown restaurant working a late night shift so I could be with the kids during the day.  Loved the job, the tips & customers but management was very touchy feely and if one wanted to keep their job, it was expected even though not wanted.  

Esteemed Contributor

Favorite: Working in my family's Ben Franklin 5&10 in the 50s and 60s. Started helping out when I was around 5, and got paid

Worst: As an aide in a private nursing home, in the owner's home, with no apparent regulations. I only lasted 2 days.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@cjm61 Welcome!🥰 WOW! You bring up a perspective I think people are not always mindful of. I have even seen people get loud and unruly IN the doctor's office when things did not go their way! More so now than EVER! I wish people would stop and think that kindness will get them a lot further than rudeness, and that there is a PERSON on  the other end that has feelings just as they do!😊 Treat others as YOU would want to be treated!❤

THANK you SO much for caring to share your perspectives this afternoon!🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fave was first.  Worked in a restaurant, checking hats and coats.  Nice coworkers, great tips, met lots of boys.  

Worse was an office job.  The boss was a major letch.  I was young and not used to that sorta behavior.  Tried to do my job and ignore the jerk.

Respected Contributor

I haven't had many jobs in my working years. Tended to stay put. I'll start with the worst first:

McDonalds when I was a teenager. I thought it would be fun at the register taking orders. But, they put me on the deep fryer making french fries. I lasted 1 day.

I loved selling yellow pages advertising for the bulk of my career back in it's heyday. I then went into collections for them. I loved that too. I spent 26 years doing this until it was sold in 2012 and I was eligible to retire.

My current job is in purchasing which I've been doing since 2012. I LOVE this job the most. Hey, I get to shop and buy stuff all day everyday. Doesn't get much better than that!  

I'm going to retire for real at the end of the year and am looking forward to the next chapter!

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Another great post !  Before I became a nurse I worked as a nurses aide at a nursing home and although rewarding in helping those patients that were confused ( one old gentleman thought he was at a hotel and when he couldn't get out of the building he would tell us "I will remember you at tipping time !") Woman LOL  My favorite job as a nurse was working in the Hospital newborn nursery for 9 years. Loved caring for the babies and being in the delivery room seeing the love and smiles on the parents faces with the birth of their child.

@Goodie2shoes Welcome!🥰  How WONDERFUL you were able to have a job that you LOVED!❤ I can see how working in the nursery was QUITE rewarding! You must be a loving and giving person because It takes a special, compassionate, empathetic and kind person to work with the elderly population!😊

THANK you SO much for caring to share your favorites today!🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

@SandySparkles I don't think many people realize when speaking to customer service/representative, it is just a person with limited control and doing their best job with the tools they are given.

My sister-in-law worked at Kaiser also but at the reception desk. We always debated who got the worst abuse. I felt that people were far more likely to yell and scream on the phone than they would in person. I still feel this way, which has enabled me to be much more compassionate towards CS.