Honored Contributor

Re: Your Engagement Ring

[ Edited ]

My engagement ring was a 1 carat marquise cut diamond solitaire with 2 half carets on each side set in platinum.  

My wedding band was 18K two tone ( one part yellow 18K, the other part platinum.  I wear my wedding band on my left ring finger.  I wear my engagement ring on my other hand.  I had lost a lot of weight at the time, so they fitted a ring guard on my engagement ring to keep it secure. As it is now, my left ring finger is a 5 1/2 while my right ring finger is a 6.

I got my rings from a private jewelry store called Brown's Jewelers (not a chain)  They specialize in unsual designs in jewelry.

Respected Contributor

Re: Your Engagement Ring

[ Edited ]

When I was first engaged, I picked out the ring. It was slightly over 3/4K with only a center brilliant cut diamond. Since I called off my engagement, I gave the ring back. No idea what happened to it. 

Respected Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

I didn't have an engagement ring in my first marriage.  I married my high school sweet heart and started college.  I had a plain white gold wedding ring.  My second (current and final) was many years later and my husband and I chose a ring from several he picked out.   It was a sapphire and diamond wide band.  He loved sapphires and I am an emerald girl.  So for my 25th anniversary I chose a 2ct emerald with 1/2 ct diamond trillions on the sides in platinum. I still wear both. 

@Jk9   You are a fortunate girl sapphires, diamonds and emeralds! 

Emeralds are my favorite gems. One day I would love to

have an emerald cut emerald ring set in 14 K yellow gold. 

Honored Contributor

I decided I would rather have diamond earrings rather than a ring. I have worn the earrings about 3 times. Bad move. But we knew we were going to elope, so I didn't want the countless questions if I got a ring.

But my Mom's engagement ring is absolutely a stunner. My Dad's sister worked at a very nice jewelry store in Dallas. So he had his sister pick out what she thought was a nicest engagement ring. 

My Mom was a tiny woman, I think her ring is a size 4.  It has a 1 1/2 carat brilliant solitaire with 2 elongated baguettes. The platinum setting had a small design around the baguettes. It looks balanced and well designed.

Mom hated it. She resented that my Aunt helped to design the ring and she didn't. She didn't wear it often. So that is why it is in pristine condition 75 years later.

Respected Contributor

We got married a few months after I graduated from college and I helped pick out the ring.  We picked out a 1 carat marquise cut diamond in yellow gold.  It had a "completer" piece that is a band in which the engagement sits in that has smaller diamonds that surround the diamond in the engagement ring. 

Funny, at the time I didn't put that much emphasis on the ring.  It just needed to be something I liked and looked good on my finger.  I was more concerned that I have small fingers and many rings just looked hideous on a small finger.   Thank goodness I did like it because it is the wedding set that I still wear today and have appreciated all through the years.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I had a limit on my ring set of $200 in 1975--got one that was $199---not much of one but am/was not a diamond girl anyway---sold it a few years ago and for the gold--got nothing for the stone---which is fine---

Super Contributor

When hubby and I got engaged I did not want an engagement ring, too much money that could be put elsewhere.  We bought beautiful wedding rings and that was it.

Fast forward to 40 years later and 45 years together, we were on a 10 day cruise in the Southern Carribean and I did all the "shopping" meetings this wonderful shopper Amber had.  We bought bamboo sheets, all kinds of gadgets and then the biggie, a 1 1/2 carat Crown of Light H-VVS1 diamond with surrounding diamonds and a band.  BIG BUCKS but after that many years and two children later I thought, wth, I'm worth it!  

I do sometimes feel guilty but it passes quick ;-)

Honored Contributor

Mine was a 1-ct (or thereabout) Tiffany setting.  Long gone.  Stolen many years ago.  

Honored Contributor

Married now 41 years...we married making $3.00 an hour  in our 20's...., $25 justice of the peace ceremony ...no rings no money for rings......never felt they were necessary.  We have never had or wore rings in 41 years. That's my story. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I guess my engagement ring story is that I didn't want one.

All I ever wanted was a plain gold band.  Which is what I got and which hasn't left my finger since my husband placed it there when we married.  

It's still there even now that I'm a widow.

@geezerette  Love it.  💘

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread