Honored Contributor

I know someone whose son recently got engaged. Upon seeing the ring, some commented privately how plain it was. It was yellow gold, cushion cut. just a solitaire no accents around the stone. This is what she wanted so all is good. I got to thinking, have most people gotten the ring they want, did they pick it out? My parents would have been married 70 years this past March. My father picked out the ring himself. he was a sport, the diamond was 1.5 carats which was a nice size stone back then. Many many years later my mother had the diamond put in a different setting. The setting was what was known as fishtail (?), the stone sat low and was not enhanced by the setting. She got a setting where the diamond was raised, it looked like a totally different ring. Do you have an engagement ring story?

Honored Contributor

MIne is also a very simple 1-carat round solitaire on a platinum band.  My wedding band is a matching plain platinum band.  A simple set of rings representing a simply wonderful love between my husband and I. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Your Engagement Ring

[ Edited ]

The stone in my ring came from my husband's grandmother's ring.  It was a quarter carat  in a 4-prong setting on a yellow gold band. Whenever his grandmother saw me, the first thing she'd ask about was "her" diamond.  It was almost a blessing when it was stolen while on vacation.

Respected Contributor

I didn't have an engagement ring in my first marriage.  I married my high school sweet heart and started college.  I had a plain white gold wedding ring.  My second (current and final) was many years later and my husband and I chose a ring from several he picked out.   It was a sapphire and diamond wide band.  He loved sapphires and I am an emerald girl.  So for my 25th anniversary I chose a 2ct emerald with 1/2 ct diamond trillions on the sides in platinum. I still wear both. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Re: Your Engagement Ring

[ Edited ]

When we got married we did not have money to buy diamonds. DH got a band & mine was a small diamond. Later when I worked at Zales they got in a nice oval diamond solitaire that I just loved. It was only 1/2 carat in platinum.
DH bought it with my discount. The manager said I can get you a larger diamond for the money but not good grade stones. You could not see inclusions with the naked eye but I could see them in the stones he picked. I said no thanks I rather have a nice smaller diamond then one full of flaws where you could see the black carbon with the naked eye or at least I could see it. The manager always said it's hard to believe you can see the flaws without a loop?

My dad passed down my mom's 1 1/3 cut almost perfect emerald cut diamond ring in platinum. He only paid $700 for it in Hawaii in the late 60's. He mailed it too me with the appraisal. Makes you afraid to wear it but I do. It's a single stone with no accents. That's the type I like. I don't want the accents.  

Esteemed Contributor

When DH & I got engaged he couldn't afford an engagement ring. I didn't care I wanted him more than I needed a ring. A year after we were married he insisted that I have a diamond ring. We went to Zales & picked out a 1/3 carat pear shaped diamond with 2 baguettes on either side. We purchased it on a 6 month layaway.

I still wear that ring with pride. DH has wanted to replace it over the years with a 2 or 3 carat rock. I keep saying that the ring has a special meaning to me.I don't want another one.

My ring to me is a symbol of our bond & how far we've come. My friends who looked down on me back then for not having a big ring or a huge wedding are divorced. Some more than once.DH & I are still going strong over 40 years later.

There is no price on sentimental value.

Respected Contributor

I bet the ring is beautiful, sometimes simple "plain" styles are best as it showcases the stone.  I had a friend who chose a "plain" round solitaire and it just stood out. Not everyone wants something more elaborate or flashy.

Valued Contributor

I do not have a diamond as the main stone. I have a sapphire. I have channel set five small diamonds on either side. It has meaning to me and to my husband. He said I saved him quite a bit of money because of the main stone being something other than a diamond.

Respected Contributor

When I got engaged to my first husband, it was straight out of high school and he was in his first year of college. He was so broke, he actually borrowed $100 from his dad and we went shopping for an engagement ring together. In the $100 price range, you could get from tiny to minuscule diamonds but I chose the one that struck my fancy, which was a 10-point diamond in a 14k white gold band.

Fast forward almost three decades, my current husband and I went to my jeweler and had a wedding set designed and made in white gold with yellow gold accents. My engagement ring has a 2.09 ct center stone which is flanked by two accent stones that are each 10 points. The matching band has the same combination of gold colors but contains no diamonds. 

Trusted Contributor

My father owned a jewelry store.  When my DH decided it was time to get engaged he went to my Dad of course.  A beautiful stone but the setting was not one I was fond of so - back to Dad we went to pick out my preference.  But I kept the same diamond. Smiley Very Happy