Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,658
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Young Lion Leaving His Pride

The images were captured by Kruger guide Moosa Varachia who said that as a young lion soon due to leave his family to strike out alone, he was perhaps starting to feel the weight of the world on his shoulders.

 

'Maybe this lion felt sad because soon he would soon have to leave his pride and go fend for himself,' Mr Varachia said. 'The lion could definitely have been experiencing a life crisis about leaving his home and going out into the real world.' 

 

Existential dread: The adolescent male with the thousand-yard stare appears to be filled with anguish as he lies beside the watering hole in Greater Kruger National Park. The images were captured by parks' guide Moosa Varachia who said that as a young lion he was perhaps having a tough time adjusting to his new responsiblities. ' Maybe this lion felt sad because soon he would soon have to leave his pride and go fend for himself,' Mr Varachia said. 'The lion could definitely have been experiencing a life crisis about leaving his home and going out into the real world.'

 

Drowning the sorrows: The young male was finally able to rally out of his despair by taking a drink from the nearby watering hole

Drowning the sorrows: The young male was finally able to rally out of his despair by taking a drink from the nearby watering hole.

 

The young male is soon due to leave the pride to fend for himself and was perhaps feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders

 

The young male is soon due to leave the pride to fend for himself and was perhaps feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,305
Registered: ‎06-08-2016

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride

Do not attach human emotions to animals

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 32,276
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride


@software wrote:

Do not attach human emotions to animals

 


@software THANK you very much!  That's a pet peeve of mine!  I feel for so many dogs now forced to live little human lives rather than do what they want to do!  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,658
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride

@software , @Sooner 

 

You should do your research, there are many many studies/experts that will disagree with you.

 

Here's one to start you off:

 

Which Emotions Do Dogs Actually Experience? | Psychology Today

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 32,276
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride


@KingstonsMom wrote:

@software , @Sooner 

 

You should do your research, there are many many studies/experts that will disagree with you.

 

Here's one to start you off:

 

Which Emotions Do Dogs Actually Experience? | Psychology Today


@KingstonsMom Being in the house more has been terribly hard on humans.  The pandemic has had great psychological effects on many.  

 

I can't imagine how much more it is on all the housebound dogs who can't live a dog's life. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,725
Registered: ‎03-15-2014

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride

Maybe the lion is just unwell.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,120
Registered: ‎03-29-2019

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride


@software wrote:

Do not attach human emotions to animals

 


 

 

 

 

@software 

 

 

THANK YOU! I hate it when people, usually women, try to turn WILD animals in to pets! Usually by feeding them. They are WILD! They don't need our "help" in getting food! They know how to find food all on their own, and don't need our "help" in getting food. If (general meaning) you really want to help wild animals, don't feed them, because (general meaning) you are doing them a disservice by feeding them! (General meaning) You are making WILD animals dependant on humans for food, and that will only end badly for the wild animal.

 

 

To your point, @software, this past winter I was watching a live cam feed of a pair of bald eagles in Big Bear Valley. Every time that it snowed, people would comment about how they wish that they could cover the eagles with a blanket, in order to "keep them warm", or to put a roof over their nest, in order to "protect" them from the snow. Nevermind the fact, that eagles are built for cold weather, and have survived for thousands of years without human giving them blankets or a roof over their nests. It never occurs to them that if the eagles wanted/needed a roof, that they would do it themselves!

 

And when the eggs  didn't hatch, due to predation by ravens, (and one egg did hatch, but the chick died within hours) omg! To see how people were carrying on, they made it out that the eagles was going to need to go to grief counseling, and suddenly all ravens were bad, evil birds, simply because they did what nature had designed them to do. People were posting that they were literally bawling all day long, simply because eggs didn't hatch! I kid you not! 

 

Yes, the viewers were turning these two WILD eagles in to feathered human beings.

 

It was pathetic that these women were doing this.

 

Just leave wild animals alone, and they'll do just fine without all of the human imposed drama.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,602
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride

Beautiful pictures. 🦁 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,380
Registered: ‎03-29-2020

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride

All young male lions are forced our of their prides by the time they're about 1-2 years old--you can see their manes starting to grow in, and that's normal. (And only about 50% of lions grow to adulthood.)

They sometimes form "bachelor" groups and/or eventually find a female, reproduce, and start prides of their own.

I agree with those who get irritated at humans projecting their own emotions onto animals, although I'm sure animals have their own kind of feelings.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,660
Registered: ‎06-07-2010

Re: Young Lion Leaving His Pride


@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@software wrote:

Do not attach human emotions to animals

 


 

 

 

 

@software 

 

 

THANK YOU! I hate it when people, usually women, try to turn WILD animals in to pets! Usually by feeding them. They are WILD! They don't need our "help" in getting food! They know how to find food all on their own, and don't need our "help" in getting food. If (general meaning) you really want to help wild animals, don't feed them, because (general meaning) you are doing them a disservice by feeding them! (General meaning) You are making WILD animals dependant on humans for food, and that will only end badly for the wild animal.

 

 

To your point, @software, this past winter I was watching a live cam feed of a pair of bald eagles in Big Bear Valley. Every time that it snowed, people would comment about how they wish that they could cover the eagles with a blanket, in order to "keep them warm", or to put a roof over their nest, in order to "protect" them from the snow. Nevermind the fact, that eagles are built for cold weather, and have survived for thousands of years without human giving them blankets or a roof over their nests. It never occurs to them that if the eagles wanted/needed a roof, that they would do it themselves!

 

And when the eggs  didn't hatch, due to predation by ravens, (and one egg did hatch, but the chick died within hours) omg! To see how people were carrying on, they made it out that the eagles was going to need to go to grief counseling, and suddenly all ravens were bad, evil birds, simply because they did what nature had designed them to do. People were posting that they were literally bawling all day long, simply because eggs didn't hatch! I kid you not! 

 

Yes, the viewers were turning these two WILD eagles in to feathered human beings.

 

It was pathetic that these women were doing this.

 

Just leave wild animals alone, and they'll do just fine without all of the human imposed drama.


@Anonymous032819   You nailed it!  Animals live by instinct, not by human emotions.