Respected Contributor

Re: You've got to read the fine print.

Not as bad as the OP coupon, but I always find it annoying when JJill says "everything is 25% or more off" and then you find out there are lots of "exceptions" to "everything."

Honored Contributor

This is how they cover their butts.  No exceptions, or explanations.

Valued Contributor

Between Macy's and Belk's I would just hand them my coupon and ask them to see if they would work on anything!  It is ridiculous.  Our Belk's is ready to close their doors and I have to drive an hour to Macy's.  I buy less and less all the time.

Respected Contributor

I shop online at Macy's occasionally, and am not going to read all that tiny print!   I put what I want in the cart and apply the coupon.  If it's not accepted, I don't buy.

Honored Contributor

But hey - you can use it on any day!  I used to shop at Macy's years ago, but I seldom bothered with their coupons because they were useless.  I just didn't have the time or patience to read through all the exclusions.

The kicker came when one day, having driven an hour to get to my only Macy's, discovered I'd left the coupon flyer at home and wanted to buy something - went to customer service.  Watched the woman behind the counter hand a coupon leaflet to the woman in front of me.  My turn - asked for a coupon leaflet and was told they "didn't have any to hand out"; that I needed to bring the one sent to me!  I said "You just gave one to that lady" (who was still stood there) and got a stare; no comment.

Had exactly the same experience once in JC Penney's.  Haven't shopped in either store since.  I don't like rules for one customer, another rule for others.  And the coupons are essentially worthless anyway.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

That's just too funny..... 🤣🤣🤣 And Macy's wonders why they are in financial trouble......SMH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Ulta always does that to me. In the past I would go in there with my coupons or points, get up to the register, and they'd say my purchase didn't qualify for promotions. So irritating!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

This is why I stopped shopping at Macy's. ☹️

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

That's just too funny..... 🤣🤣🤣 And Macy's wonders why they are in financial trouble......SMH!

@Spurt 

I was happy when I got the coupon, then I clicked on the "Details" link and discovered that pretty much everything in the store was excluded. It's just a dumb way to do business. A typical retail markup is 100%, and for department stores it's typically more, so they could give up 25% and still make money. If they paid $100 at wholesale and are selling it for $200, the 25% off would knock $50 off the price, but they'd still make $50. If they have a 300% markup (not unheard of for higher end stores) the $100 item would be retailing for $400 and the 25% off would save the consumer $100 (pretty nice) but the store would still make a $200 profit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

it is ridiculous.

they send me those coupons often and they rarely work. most of the time they go right into the trash. i am not even that much of a macys shopper anymore. i think i had one or two purchases during 2020. at least they are still on the rebate sites!

@sunshine45 , same.  On Black Friday, one of the rebate sites was doing 20% off with Macy's.  I looked through all the fine print for the terms of the rebate because there were plenty of exclusions.  What I ordered wasn't excluded which was surprising because it was Chanel.  I would never have been able to use a coupon on Chanel.