Honored Contributor

You've got to read the fine print.

After a recent Macy's order they sent me a coupon for 25% off my next purchase with the following fine print.

"EXCLUDES ALL: Deals Of The Day, Doorbusters, Everyday Values (EDV), Last Act Clearance, Macy’s Backstage, Our Lowest Prices Of The Season, Specials, Super Buys, The Market @ Macy’s, athletic clothing/shoes/accessories, baby gear & socks, reg.-priced bridge dresses, select china/crystal/silver, cosmetics/fragrances, select designer handbags/jewelry/lingerie/men’s apparel/shoes/sportswear/watches, furniture/mattresses/rugs, gift cards, golf apparel, island apparel, gourmet foods, jewelry trunk shows, kids’ athletic apparel & accessories, kids’ & baby shoes, select leased & licensed depts., maternity, premium denim, outdoor apparel/shoes, previous purchases, restaurants, services, small appliances, smart watches/jewelry, special orders, special purchases, sterling flatware, sterling silver, surf & skate, select tech, select toys/games, select vendor direct brands, select water bottles, 1-800-Baskets.com, Adidas Swim, Allen Edmonds, Anova, Apple Products, Armani Exchange, b8ta, Barbour, BCBG, Birkenstock, Bose, Brahmin, Breville, Brian Atwood, Briggs & Riley, Brooks Brothers Red Fleece/dress shirts/neckwear, Cheryl’s Cookies, Christofle, COACH, Columbia, Coravin, Crocs, Demeyere, Dickies, Dyson, E-SPORT, Eastern Mountain Sports, Eileen Fisher SYSTEM, Erbario Toscano, Finish Line, FitFlop, Fjallraven, Fox, Frye, Global Cutlery, Global Good Partners, Guess Originals, select HUGO, Iittala, Illume, John Varvatos, Jack Rogers, Johnston & Murphy, Josie Natori Sleepwear, Kate Spade New York accessories/apparel, Kenneth Cole kids’ shoes, KitchenAid Pro Line, Koolabura by UGG®, reg.-priced Lacoste, Le Creuset, Leesa, LEGO, LensCrafters, Levi’s, Lids, Lipault, Lladro, Magnolia Home, Marc Jacobs, Marciano, Marimekko, Merrell, select Michael Kors/Michael Michael Kors, Michael Aram, Miyabi, reg.-priced MOSCHINO, Movado Bold, My Pillow, Nectar, Nike on Field, Nike swim, NYDJ, Oriental Weavers, Original Penguin, Philips, Polo Ralph Lauren for women, Purple, Rimowa, Royal Copenhagen, Saatva, Sakroots, Salt & Cove, Sam Edelman, Shun, simplehuman, Smeg, Sorel shoes, Spanx, Splendid, Staub, STORY, Stuart Weitzman, Sugarfina, S’well, Tag Heuer, Ted Baker, Tempur-Pedic, Teva, The Comfy, The North Face, The Popcorn Factory, Tillys, Theory, Tommy Bahama, Tommy John, Tory Burch, Tumi, UGG®, Uttermost, Vans, reg.-priced Versace, Vietri, Vitamix, Wolf Gourmet, Wacoal, Woolrich men’s shoes, Wüsthof & Zwilling J.A. Henckels cutlery, bridge sportswear, select contemporary apparel, designer shoes, watches, Breitling, CeCe, Eileen Fisher, Free People, Karen Kane, select Lauren Ralph Lauren/Polo Ralph Lauren/Polo Ralph Lauren big & tall, Vera Wang Wedgwood & Vince Camuto apparel, bridge sportswear, select contemporary apparel, designer shoes, watches, Bernardaud, Breitling, CeCe, Eileen Fisher, Free People, Karen Kane, women’s Lacoste & select Lauren Ralph Lauren/Polo Ralph Lauren/Polo Ralph Lauren big & tall. Valid for Macy’s Credit Cardholders only. Must use Macy’s Credit Card or Macy’s Gift, Rewards or EZ Exchange Card & show Macy’s Credit Card at time of purchase. Cannot be combined with coupon/extra discount/credit offer except opening new Macy’s account. Cannot be used as payment or credit on your account. Extra Savings % applied to reduced prices. Valid on any single day & one time on macys.com."

Uh, guys? It might be easier to just tell me what I can use the coupon on. Surely that list has to be shorter than the list of things I can't use it on. Why do they give you a coupon that you can't use on anything? Are they trying to annoy customers? There's always fine print, but Macy's is taking it just a teensy step farther than normal with this coupon. And how exactly does one know if a product is a "select" product in whatever category? It's just dumb. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: You've got to read the fine print.

Plus you have to be a Macy's credit card user.  

Honored Contributor

Hahaha, is there anything left to use that coupon on? My eyes start crossing before I get to the bottom of the items not included.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hilarious isn't it?!! 

I can remember years ago getting those coupons from Macys and thinking the same thing....what can I use it on?

ETA:  The list has definitely gotten longer....ridiculous!

Honored Contributor

@gardenman       The Macy's store at Paradise Valley, AZ is closing its doors after 40 years.   Not enough business........gosh, I wonder WHY..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Hilarious isn't it?!! 

I can remember years ago getting those coupons from Macys and thinking the same thing....what can I use it on?

ETA:  The list has definitely gotten longer....ridiculous!

Yeah, it's amazing. When I got the coupon I thought, "Hey, that's great!" Then I read the exceptions and there's nothing to use it on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

it is ridiculous.

they send me those coupons often and they rarely work. most of the time they go right into the trash. i am not even that much of a macys shopper anymore. i think i had one or two purchases during 2020. at least they are still on the rebate sites!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Yes, all the "rules" you have to read before using a coupon is exhausting!  

I agree, with many, it would be easier to say what it can be used for, it would be a much shorter list, in some cases!

Respected Contributor

Macy's just closed their largest store in a busy mall in our city.  I read that they are closing about 140 stores across the country and are on the brink of bankruptcy.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Macy's just closed their largest store in a busy mall in our city.  I read that they are closing about 140 stores across the country and are on the brink of bankruptcy.

@Scooby Doo     They took over two of my all-time favorite stores, Marshall Field, and Robinson-May.........and the results were not to my liking.

♥Surface of the Sun♥