Honored Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

Thank you, Isobel.  I remember being terrorized by the sniper and his little pal.  When I went to get gas, I would scrunch myself down behind the gas pump to protect myself.

My trip to church took me by the Home Depot where one woman was shot dead.  

It was a hellacious time. 

My husband had died in 2001, a few weeks after 9/11.  My mother went into decline in early 2002 and died that summer.  When the snipers came along, I was gutted. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

Taking the Metro in 1972.

Oh dear.

Honored Contributor

Okay, I am not getting into a peeing contest.  I'm tired.  I'm cleaning out stuff.  Better get back to purging.

I grant that what you are experiencing now is wicked.  I am sorry for that, Snowpuppy

Respected Contributor

Yes, I'm sure that public transportation in Detroit isn't a good situation either.

Sad.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Not good in NYC either.

A Bronx woman was hit in the face with a bag of feces while waiting for the subway in the Bronx, N.Y. New York City Mayor Eric Adams said these kinds of events are “real signs of mental health issues.” WNBC reports.

Regular Contributor

DRUG ADDICTS, THE MENTALLY ILL....SOCIETY'S DIRTY LITTLE SECRET.  FOR YEARS SWEPT UNDER THE CARPET.  AND YES, THE GOVT, MEDICAL COMMUNITY, INSURANCE COMPANIES ALL CAN SHARE IN THE BLAME.  IT IS AN OVERWHELMING PROBLEM, NOT EASILY FIXED, IF AT ALL.

Honored Contributor

A lot of this started way back in the 70's & 80's when "they" decided that mentally ill people can not be locked or kept locked up against their will.  Incidents like this one is just one of the results, along with adding to the homeless crisis.

Very sad and scary, what if it had been acid?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Everyone laments mental illness and drug addictions but no one is willing to truly fund it, including insurance, social outreach programs, staffing. research, and in-patient and outpatient facilities. For adults AND minors.

Politicians in my state closed all state mental facilities and cut funding to other places while they significantly increased welfare for big corporations, huge corporate farms, and the 1%. Unless one has good insurance, there is little to no place to go for help. People continue voting against their own best interests so they get what they voted for.

Honored Contributor

We have a number of psychiatric facilities in the county. One is even a psychiatric hospital.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie 

Actually, deinstitutionalization  of the mentally ill began in the 1960's with the development of antipsychotic drugs, implementation of Medicaid & Medicare and patient rights.  Also, states  closed many poorly  funded and  inhumane  state mental institutions . When this occured , there was little infrastructure in place to support the mentally ill to successfully succed in sociaty unless family were involved, however many mentally ill do not take their medications for a myriad of reasons which perpetuates further exacerbations of their mental illness . Many do not want to live where they have to follow sobriety rules so they prefer  to live on the streets.

For many families  dealing with  family members with mental illness or  substance abuse is a contant nightmare of a rollercoaster .  The only solution is to get local communities involved , but monetary support is needed along with many more acute hospital  psych beds and transitional housing . All the millions that National Institues of Mental Health and Neurosciences spends on some silly reasearch  could be spent on actually helping the mentally ill .

(corrected fonly or  adding word Medicaid )