Honored Contributor

Re: You’re missing out when you don’t read the later posts in a thread

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I'll sometimes give a heart to a post at the end because I want those who are late to the party to know someone read their thoughts.

@AuntG...Me too.  I honestly feel bad for those who aren't recognized as having taken the time to post on a thread.  

I also feel that the person who started the thread should acknowledge each poster with a heart. 

@Lindsays Grandma   How do you know they are not recognized? It’s ridiculous to heart each post. Like another poster said, just look at how many views are on each post. The views actually show how many posters read the post. I would never heart each post I have read. Why would anyone heart a post that doesn’t match what they are saying?

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I'll sometimes give a heart to a post at the end because I want those who are late to the party to know someone read their thoughts.

@AuntG...Me too.  I honestly feel bad for those who aren't recognized as having taken the time to post on a thread.  

I also feel that the person who started the thread should acknowledge each poster with a heart. 

Or at least acknowledge posters who make relevant comments   Example...a thread is started and the OP asks “what model iPhone do you own?”   Most posters would ignore that question if they own androids. But there is always at least one who responds “Ill never buy an iPhone”.  

Someone who who does that, gets no hearts from me.  😀

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma   How do you know they are not recognized? It’s ridiculous to heart each post. Like another poster said, just look at how many views are on each post. The views actually show how many posters read the post. I would never heart each post I have read. Why would anyone heart a post that doesn’t match what they are saying?

@proudlyfromNJ...Read dooBdoo's post where she explains how the number of views actually works, it is not as you describe.  When I see a 0 on a post it indicates to me that no one has read it, I could be wrong but those posts are always the last ones in a thread which is an indication they have not been read.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ...Read dooBdoo's post where she explains how the number of views actually works, it is not as you describe.  When I see a 0 on a post it indicates to me that no one has read it, I could be wrong but those posts are always the last ones in a thread which is an indication they have not been read.

That's correct, @Lindsays Grandma.    The view tally represents the number of times devices have displayed the page containing the post...  and the counter goes up each time we open that part of the thread or simply refresh the page.

It doesn't display the number of people who read it.   In this example, the thread has been opened to display that post (or the readers refreshed the page) 45 times but we have no way of knowing how many unique, individual people read it.   It can be misleading, for sure.

9E4FB539-39C4-4E55-9F41-C40B10DCC331.jpeg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It would be nice if we could options on how to view posts; by most recent or by first
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
It would be nice if we could options on how to view posts; by most recent or by first

@lovesrecess,  I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but in your "Settings," under "Preferences" and "Preferences Options" there's a section called "Linear Layout."   

Under "Linear Format: Sorting order within topics" you can choose to see the oldest post in a thread first or the newest post first.   (Be sure to click/tap SAVE if you make changes.)

Under "Topic Layout" you can choose how to see the threads in each subforum (in their terminology, "topic" is a thread).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo Thank you for all the great tips and explanations on how the forums work. I really wasn’t sure about the “view” count but couldn’t see how it could count individual posts read, rather just the times the page was opened, and you validated that. And then all the added graphics are really helpful. So a big thank you from me. 

Respected Contributor

I personally don't think I am.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

I personally don't think I am.

Lovescats, thank you for your comment. Your opinion is important and is relevant to the discussion. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

I agree with you. I don't ❤ posts I find offensive or, I, fundamentally, disagree with. I do ❤ posts that disagree with me when the opposing opinion isn't offensive or plain lies. 

Having only one option (❤s) is very limiting. I'd prefer something like agree, disagree, laugh options.