Respected Contributor

Re: You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

@janeec wrote:

I had ordered a gift for my nephew through my Amazon prime with 2 day shipping.  It was to be delivered on a Sunday.  I received the email notification that it was delivered.  I had been home all day, checked everywhere, and it was not there.  I emailed Amazon, apprised them of the situation, and that if this is the way they did business, I would cancel my prime membership and tell everyone I knew about their service.

I then found a website where I could complain to the USPS, and did so through an email.  Lo and behold, I received a phone call from them explaining it was a new carrier who "accidentally" picked up the package only to discover it was not on her route.  She recorded it as delivered and drove it back to the post office.  I told the man that was an unacceptable excuse,  What if it had been a check?   Is is the norm to hire liars and allow them to continue?

I was sent a survey on their service, and did tell the truth.  It has not happened again, and that was over a year ago.  I am tired of people making excuses.  What ever happened to being responsible?

@janeec, I agree.  Seems pretty simple to me - don't scan a package to indicate it's been delivered until.....It's TRULY delivered!  Then people won't be outside with a flashlight on a cold, blustery night, searching for the darn package! Grrrr.....  😉

Respected Contributor

Re: You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

I've never had such delivery issues until this year.

Just yesterday, it said that a package of DVD's I ordered from Ebay was out for delivery. My regular, always GREAT mailman delivered my mail. I checked, & no DVD's. I checked the tracking, & it said ,"Notice Left". I don't even know what that means. 

My mailman always leaves my packages at my back door, or rings the bell if he has a question.  They were just cheap DVD's, so no special instructions were needed by the seller. 

Today it still says the same thing- not out for delivery, so we'll see. 

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email update from UPS that my package had been transferred to USPS & was out for delivery (it was from Amazon, so they claimed). Only problem is that I didn't order anything. And no one sent me anything. But it says it was delivered.

I'm really dreading any delivery at this point. Between all the delivery miscommunication, & the creeps waiting to steal it off my porch....no fun.   Smiley Frustrated

Super Contributor

I always file a report when they do this. It isn't just deceptive, but it can be a huge headache for us. As others have mentioned, we are stuck looking all over the place for our item, even asking neighbors if they have seen our package that says "Delivered".  It is a headache for the vendor when we contact them, and they ask us to wait. But for how long?

Sometimes the item is expensive, and it can be stressful to think it might be lost or stolen.   The biggest problem with them marking the item as delivered is that it removes the item from the tracking system. There is absolutely zero way to know when it will arrive, if ever. When they say it is delivered, they release themselves of responsibility for your package, even though they still have it. They need to be held accountable for that, and they wont be if we don't report it every time.

Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

Cherry, you are very lucky. I get things smashed in my mailbox that I have to work on for a good 5 to 10 minutes to get out, packages sticking out and the rest of the mail smashed behind it, mailbox door left open and everything soaking wet, people's mail that have different names and different streets, mail that said it was delivered when it wasn't and missing packages that never showed up.  I can go on and on but you are blessed to have such wonderful mail carriers.

@Carol Diane you and I must have the same mailman LOL! or it's his twin brother!  My husband went out a few weeks ago to get our mail and came in stunned....laughing uncontrollably....took a picture of our mailbox because he just couldn't BELIEVE what the mailman had done.  He had taken our mail and 4 packages...jamming them in our regular sized box...the clothing Q bag was literally hanging out of the box....3 others jammed in behind it crushed...and mail under it all.  He wants to go up to post office and show them...ask them is this how you teach your drivers to deliver the mail??

I should get that photo and post it here....truly unreal!  And yep I have posted here how mine has marked it delivered and drove off with it...watched him from my front window do it.  Had to go up to post office and speak to the boss...she called him on his phone and told him to get the package to my house NOW.  It was one that required a signature I had been waiting for it....what a waste of my time all day that was.

Then a few days ago for some unknown reason UPS put packages behind my bbq on patio.  I live on a conner lot...it's wide open...no fence no trees...and have a side door with driveway on that same side of house...plus a nice front porch but NO he put them there LOL and I reported them missing to both Q and HSN!  Finally 2hrs later after looking outside (freezing/windy here that night) I found them.  Had to call and report it to CS again...wasted all kinds of time and other peoples time too.

Now my packages are showing up on my front porch like they are supposed to.  Will see how long that lasts...it's covered and recessed so you can't easily see anything up there...perfect place.  

Esteemed Contributor

All of my things have come in record time from the mail or UPS except one thing (which I posted about on the other thread so I'm not typing it again). BUT I am sick of how the mailman and UPS do NOT ring our bell. I have to keep checking all day (I am home most days). I even check before bed because we found packages one night at 730 PM on our porch. I dont know if they think people dont steal in the country but yeah people steal everywehre so we keep checking in case.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

I just had this happen with a large package via FedEx. It was supposed to deliver the next day after Thanksgiving (Friday). We were home all day, afternoon, and evening. I got a text it was delivered to my front porch. I immediately went outside, no package. Canvassed the neighbors (live on a court), da nada. I contact the shipper and FedEx. I was told I would be contacted today. Well lo and behold, this morning at 10 a.m. the package shows up. The tracking number still shows delivery on Friday morning. One CS rep told me the truck driver sometimes "delivers" more than one package, say in an apartment complex. I said, what???? So these guys are marking as delivered when they really aren't. Icing on the cake, FedEx sent me a claim form this afternoon to fill out. LOL! 

So, it is not just USPS....just happy I got the package. I imagine we can expect more of the same. 

Contributor

When I had my online quilting store I shipped some of my orders via ups if the shipping worked out cheaper than using USPS. I ended up canceling my acct. because some customers were not receiving their orders or the order was coming back to me with the reason it was refused.  Then I would  get calls from the customer wanting to know when their order would be shipped.  I lost time and money having to remake the item and re-ship it.  After that I went back to using USPS exclusively for all my orders.

Frequent Contributor

Ups lost 2 rugs that said they were delivered.  Never were they found.

New Contributor

Thank You. My husband is a postal clerk and he is the most patient with DIFFICULT customers.  He also works alone for many hours.

We as humans expect so much. Stop and think how lucky we are to walk to our mailbox and mail  a letter anywhere in the world.

Yes the Postal Service has its share of problems and not everyone is a "great worker", but the majority are. Take time to thank your postal workers for the work they do for you!!!!