Respected Contributor

Re: You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

@IamMrsG wrote:

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I just learned this today.  Amazon is using a delivery system called Flex--like Uber, non-uniformed  people using their personal cars to deliver Amazon purchases to your front door.  I do not like the idea at all.

Yes, I have teenagers delivering my packages in their personal cars.  I don't mind as long as it shows up!  The first time I noticed was when some young boy knocked on my door, and I thought he was a neighbor kid who was being nice and bringing me my package he received in error.  

Honored Contributor

Re: You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

Before Informed Delivery, I always suspected my mail delivery was off.  Many Mondays and Fridays I would not get any mail at all.  

Now with Informed Delivery, I know it's not my imagination.  I don't get mail many Mondays and Fridays even though I get an email that says I have mail coming that day.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I just learned this today.  Amazon is using a delivery system called Flex--like Uber, non-uniformed  people using their personal cars to deliver Amazon purchases to your front door.  I do not like the idea at all.

Yes, I have teenagers delivering my packages in their personal cars.  I don't mind as long as it shows up!  The first time I noticed was when some young boy knocked on my door, and I thought he was a neighbor kid who was being nice and bringing me my package he received in error.  

I just Emailed Amazon to declare my preference to either opt-out of this delivery method or to cancel my Prime membership.  Especially at this time of year, the thought of just any Tom, Richard (the censorship on these forums can be ridiculous) or Harriette knowing the frequency or number of packages I receive is more than a little disconcerting. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:
You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

Nov 27, 2017

Have you ever sat at home all day, waiting for a package that was promised to arrive before 8pm only to have it not show up? Did you get an email saying that it had been delivered, despite all evidence to the contrary? It's not just you and it isn't just bad luck—according to CBS Atlanta it's, well, kind of a conspiracy. Toss on your tin-foil hat and let's dig in.

Sometimes packages get caught up or traffic is bad and things get delivered a little later—that's all understandable, but why do we get the delivery confirmation email when there was no delivery to confirm? Amazon.

According to sources that spoke to CBS46, mail carriers are reportedly under pressure to log Amazon packages as delivered. If users report that their prime package wasn't delivered on time, Amazon will usually offer some sort of compensation as an apology. They obviously don't want to do that, so the pressure is on USPS to deliver packages on time. A former mail carrier quoted in the story said, "At 7:15, whatever you have not delivered, pull your truck over to the side of the road and scan every single one of your Amazon packages. We cannot have late packages because that will jeopardize our contract with Amazon."

The story was quite the hit on Reddit, with users sharing stories of package delivery gone awry, and judging from the wide range of responses, the problem isn't isolated to Atlanta.

@VaBelle35  This has happened to me many times, so I insure everything otherwise usps does nothing about any missing package.

Respected Contributor

This happened to me 2 weeks ago. I got an email that my e bay item had been delivered. It hadn't been!  Of course, I took a flashlight and went around to all my doors and checked all around our front porch but no package. I went down to the barn and extra garage thinking it might have been placed inside one of those buildings, nope. I went back down our long driveway in the dark, checked around mailbox, in the deep ditch behind mailbox again had to use flashlight no package. It was cold and the wind was gusting and I thought maybe the package had blown into the bushes or who knows where else! We live on 10 acres could have blown anywhere. 

i waited another day, mail came, no package. I emailed the seller and e bay. By this point I figured it was gone and due to getting an email saying I'd received it, I thought I might be in for a fight with e bay and/or seller because how am I going to prove I really didn't get it?

package showed up in my mailbox on the next day which was a Sunday. I thought it had gone to a neighbors by mistake. After reading this thread, now I know what happened. Ugh 😑 

Honored Contributor

Although I don't give USPS much credit for that alleged reporting, I know from personal experience that they have company for falsely reporting they delivered a package to the correct address!

At least 4 times in the past few years, I've had my own packages delivered elsewhere or I've received someone else's packages and USPS wasn't ever involved!  I've even had my tax packages mailed by my CPA misdelievered - twice!  And that wasn't USPS; in fact, those packages now come to me via USPS, and so far, so good.

Becasue online shopping is growing so fast, I predict we'll hear more and more tales of shipping/delivery woes.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand the furor over Amazon using their own delivery people. Why is this any different than their using one of the traditional carriers?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Cherry, you are very lucky. I get things smashed in my mailbox that I have to work on for a good 5 to 10 minutes to get out, packages sticking out and the rest of the mail smashed behind it, mailbox door left open and everything soaking wet, people's mail that have different names and different streets, mail that said it was delivered when it wasn't and missing packages that never showed up.  I can go on and on but you are blessed to have such wonderful mail carriers.

Honored Contributor

I don't care how Amazon gets their packages to me.  I got one today that was a cyberMonday order!  Ordered it late last night.

And I have had packages not delivered at all...usually when I really need something.  This last time, it was printer ink that I ordered far in advance of when I expected to need it,.  Never came...had to make an urgent visit to an office supply store (20 minute drive away)

Honored Contributor

I got one of those emails, also.  I called UPS and reported it and they said it was a common practice, it meant it WOULD BE DELIVERED SHORTLY.

Say what?  No, I'm not going to agree with falsifying a delivery.

Today I received a gift I'd ordered for DH, a fancy soap from Scotland that comes in a pretty tin, meant to be a stocking stuffer, he's part Scottish.  It had been jammed into the mail slot with the packaging ripped open and the tin scratched.