Honored Contributor

You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

[ Edited ]
You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

Nov 27, 2017

Have you ever sat at home all day, waiting for a package that was promised to arrive before 8pm only to have it not show up? Did you get an email saying that it had been delivered, despite all evidence to the contrary? It's not just you and it isn't just bad luck—according to CBS Atlanta it's, well, kind of a conspiracy. Toss on your tin-foil hat and let's dig in.

Sometimes packages get caught up or traffic is bad and things get delivered a little later—that's all understandable, but why do we get the delivery confirmation email when there was no delivery to confirm? Amazon.

According to sources that spoke to CBS46, mail carriers are reportedly under pressure to log Amazon packages as delivered. If users report that their prime package wasn't delivered on time, Amazon will usually offer some sort of compensation as an apology. They obviously don't want to do that, so the pressure is on USPS to deliver packages on time. A former mail carrier quoted in the story said, "At 7:15, whatever you have not delivered, pull your truck over to the side of the road and scan every single one of your Amazon packages. We cannot have late packages because that will jeopardize our contract with Amazon."

The story was quite the hit on Reddit, with users sharing stories of package delivery gone awry, and judging from the wide range of responses, the problem isn't isolated to Atlanta.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

Oh, I AM crazy.  Smiley Very Happy   But I haven't had this happen yet.  What a drag.

I monitor all parcels coming my way and if something says it's going by Surepost (UPS to USPS to delivery), I go into my UPS account and upgrade it (free) to 'Ground'.    Gets there a day earlier and doesn't spend that extra day at the post office.

Honored Contributor

Re: You're Not Crazy: USPS Is Allegedly Reporting They Delivered Packages When They Haven't

We've had it happen a lot here in my community.  It's been going on for a very long time.  We have a Facebook page and a Nextdoor page, so this is discussed a lot on there

It's only happened to me once.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Even if it shows delivered if you don’t get it they’ll refund your money so that’s good but still...

i swear we have an “optional delivery” route. 

Honored Contributor

This won't be popular, but I really think our postal service does an exemplary job. Given the huge volume of mail they  must deliver, and sort , on a 6 day a week  schedule, I am surprised it runs as well as is does. We have only  had trouble  a couple of times in all my 70 years. I get packages frequently, and they always come in good condition

These people work very hard ,and are out in all weathers. I have always had kind and considerate people ,delivering my mail

Honored Contributor

I've had this happen and even posted about it on here.  It's very frustrating.  On the other hand, I had an Amazon package scheduled to be delivered yesterday that was delivered today.  I had one scheduled for today that I didn't receive.  I assume it will come tomorrow.  Neither were marked as delivered.  I haven't called Amazon, because it really wasn't their fault.  They shipped the packages immediately.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I never contact Amazon on late deliveries either if it's the fault of the carrier.  I don't think it's fair to ask for compensation from Amazon when they did their job.  99% of the time it's very good, so no complaints from me.

Every now and then something happens in the course of shipping that causes a delay.  Oh well.   That's just the way it goes and I get over it.  Of course, it's always the thing that you're waiting the most impatiently for!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

If the public was not in such a GOTTA HAVE EVERYTHING NOW  mind frame, these issues would not come up.   What is so important that someone needs something same day or even next day?  Amazon started this madness....

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Nov 27, 2017

Have you ever sat at home all day, waiting for a package that was promised to arrive before 8pm only to have it not show up? Did you get an email saying that it had been delivered, despite all evidence to the contrary? It's not just you and it isn't just bad luck—according to CBS Atlanta it's, well, kind of a conspiracy. Toss on your tin-foil hat and let's dig in.

Sometimes packages get caught up or traffic is bad and things get delivered a little later—that's all understandable, but why do we get the delivery confirmation email when there was no delivery to confirm? Amazon.

According to sources that spoke to CBS46, mail carriers are reportedly under pressure to log Amazon packages as delivered. If users report that their prime package wasn't delivered on time, Amazon will usually offer some sort of compensation as an apology. They obviously don't want to do that, so the pressure is on USPS to deliver packages on time. A former mail carrier quoted in the story said, "At 7:15, whatever you have not delivered, pull your truck over to the side of the road and scan every single one of your Amazon packages. We cannot have late packages because that will jeopardize our contract with Amazon."

The story was quite the hit on Reddit, with users sharing stories of package delivery gone awry, and judging from the wide range of responses, the problem isn't isolated to Atlanta.

This happens to me more and more these days.   Liars. 

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Oh, I AM crazy.  Smiley Very Happy   But I haven't had this happen yet.  What a drag.

I monitor all parcels coming my way and if something says it's going by Surepost (UPS to USPS to delivery), I go into my UPS account and upgrade it (free) to 'Ground'.    Gets there a day earlier and doesn't spend that extra day at the post office.

Your day might be coming soon.