Esteemed Contributor

You named it and you broke it

the "it" is the law.  In some countries it is illegal to name your children any of the following names:  

Adolf Hitler: Germany, Malaysia, Mexico and New Zealand. Name meaning: The name of the leader of Nazi Germany. Reason for ban: It’s offensive.

Akuma: Japan. Name meaning: Devil. Reason for ban: Japanese officials sought to protect a child from mockery.

Amir: Saudi Arabia. Name meaning: Prince. Reason for ban: Saudi Arabian citizens cannot name their children anything that relates to royalty.

Bonghead: Australia. Name meaning: One can only assume it means someone with a water pipe for a noggin. Reason for ban: It’s offensive.

Carolina: Iceland. Name meaning: A free person. Reason for ban: The Icelandic alphabet doesn’t include the letter “c.”

Cyanide: United Kingdom. Name meaning: A deadly poison. Reason for ban: The moniker might bring harm to the child in the future.

Facebook: Sonora, Mexico. Name meaning: The social media platform and website. Reason for ban: The Mexican state prohibits names “lacking in meaning.”

Gesher: Norway. Name meaning: Bridge. Reason for ban: It’s not on the Norwegian government’s list of approved names.

God: Victoria, Australia. Name meaning: An all-powerful being. Reason for ban: Several names explicitly tied to religion are banned.

Harry Potter: Sonora, Mexico. Name meaning: “Harry” comes from the German “Heri,” or “army,” but the name is more closely attributed to the fictional wizard and namesake of J.K. Rowling’s fantasy novels. Reason for ban: It could cause embarrassment and bullying.

III: California. Meaning: Three, or the third. Reason for ban: It’s inherently confusing.

Ikea: Australia. Name meaning: A chain of Swedish furniture superstores. Reason for ban: It’s not appropriate for a child’s name.

iMac: Australia. Name meaning: A desktop computer produced by Apple. Reason for ban: It’s an object, not a person’s name.

Linda: Saudi Arabia. Name meaning: Soft, tender; beautiful. Reason for ban: It’s foreign.

Lucía: California. Name meaning: Graceful light. Reason for ban: Accents and special characters aren’t permitted in California.

Lucifer: New Zealand. Name meaning: The devil. Reason for ban: It’s derogatory.

Malek: Saudi Arabia, Name meaning: King. Reason for ban: This title is reserved solely for royalty.

Messi: Rosario, Argentina. Name meaning: The last name of legendary soccer player Lionel Messi. Reason for ban: Last names can’t be used as first names.

Nutella: France. Name meaning: A popular chocolate-hazelnut spread. Reason for ban: It’s too similar to a well-known food.

Osama bin Laden: Germany. Name meaning: The name of the former leader of al-Qaeda. Reason for ban: It’s offensive.

Pluto: Denmark. Name meaning: Possibly the best-known dwarf planet in the universe. Reason for ban: It’s inappropriate.

Sarah: Morocco. Name meaning: Pure, happy; princess. Reason for ban: It’s not traditionally Moroccan.

Some of these are a no brainer but then others well.....what's it to California?  Woman Frustrated

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

Re: You named it and you broke it

@gertrudecloset these are interesting and funny!  Very funny to me is the name Carolina being banned by Iceland because Iceland's alphabet doesn't have the letter c.  ?? Iceland is spelled with the letter c!!  

Also, I didn't know that was the meaning of Carolina - it's beautiful. Love that name.

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestar   If I ever get to Iceland, I guess I won't tell them I'm from North Carolina. Lol 

Esteemed Contributor

I'd like to add a couple names to the list.  But, alas, I can't here.😜

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Interesting. 

Valued Contributor

Welp, I guess I better stay out of Saudi, Arabia.  

Esteemed Contributor

Wow I get some of these but I didn't know governing bodies were this into your child and the name. This was enlightening. 

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset The part about the state of California makes no sense and is wrong. I spent my first 62 years there and heard thousands of names Hispanic and every other ethnic group and they have accents and/or "special meanings". 

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but Nutella Bonghead is a genius name.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr