Honored Contributor

Re: You know how when 1 thing breaks it all goes?

That's always the way it happens around here.

You have one expensive thing needing to be repaired or replaced and then  walk on egg shells waiting for the next bill to find you!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Spurt   All these new appliances and cars are a pip for repairs.  My feeling is the more bells and whistles the more they cost to fix. I hate it.

My car is older and I refuse to buy a new one.  I just do go enough to justify the money. You need an engineering degree to figure them out. I don't want it to drive itself, talk to me or anything else.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Thats so true....when they add all this technology to applinces it just causes them to break down faster.....I have friends that bought a brand new refrigerator with all latest bells and whistles it lasted only 3 years....

Consumer Reports confirmed for people to get a basic appliance and it will last a LOT LONGER......it seems the technology is the first thing to go....then the rest....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Always seems to happen that way doesn't it?  I need new tires for my car so it's an expense I'm expecting but while I was out of town, DH called me and told me something is wrong with my car.  In the back of my mind, I knew something was wrong but never said anything.  He thinks it's something in the steering and I already had to have a steering gear replaced at under 24,000 miles, 2 months after the warranty was up and to the tune of $1,700.00.

We are also having some kind of plumbing issue in our house we have to look into.  We both realized yesterday evening, periodically there is a bad odor in the house.  The first time I smelled it when I walked in the door and thought maybe the dog had gotten sick and messed in the house.  We also noticed the water in our upstairs toilet is very cloudy and yellowish.  I can only imagine what this is.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva,

Last year my mother had a bad smell in her house like sewer gas.   We are rural with septic systems, so we knew it wasn’t actually with that system.   The problem turned out to be a blocked intake/exhaust vent from the sewage line.   This line vents on the back of her house, and is a white pipe that extends above her roofline.   Brother took a straightened clothes hanger and cleaned the dirt out, which took care of the smell.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Lipstickdiva,

Last year my mother had a bad smell in her house like sewer gas.   We are rural with septic systems, so we knew it wasn’t actually with that system.   The problem turned out to be a blocked intake/exhaust vent from the sewage line.   This line vents on the back of her house, and is a white pipe that extends above her roofline.   Brother took a straightened clothes hanger and cleaned the dirt out, which took care of the smell.   

@RedTop, is that what is referred to as the stink pipe?  My DH just called and said he is going on the roof to see if maybe our's is plugged from a birds' nest or something.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva,

Yes, that is the pipe I’m referring to, and all it takes is for dust, dirt, leaves, sticks, etc to clog that line which is then unable to breathe/vent odors when you flush the toilet.