Honored Contributor

You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone

I l've in an area where 3 small towns run together. This month 2 long standing family run businesses closed. One was a small market that had been in business since 1932 and offered a variety of products, especially their meat and prepared foods. Most of us can't remember when this place didn't exist. For a small market , they employed a lot of people and we all knew their names. The other business was a hardware store that had been in business for 112 years, and if you couldn't find something , chances are they had it. It's hard to stay in business with Walmart and the big box stores, and soon that is all that will be left. That's life, but I don't have to like it and it makes me sad. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1       It is a similar situation in big cities, which are really a conglomerate of older "neighborhoods".   

A good percentage of the local businesses in  "MY" neighborhood are now boarded up.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

This happens everywhere sadly......QVC is a prime example

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

I know how you feel.  I lament all the time about old-time and long-time businesses closing in our small town.  Everything from A to Z - restaurants, department stores, hardware stores, fruit and vegetable markets, dry cleaners, tailors, shoe repair shops, etc.  We have like to nothing left here.  DH and I talk and say --- are we just lamenting these places because we are old?  However, we have no, what I call "mom and pop" places, any more.  Any place to eat is pretty much fast-food or what I call "cookie cutter" chains, if that.  Every time you turn around another one has closed down.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I put part of the blame for this on the Internet which has conditioned us to "instant gratification". Need several things from food and clothing to a new filter for your AC/furnace just go online, price compare several sources, place order(s) and things will show up at your door.  Time involved--minutes to maybe an hour.

Or, get in your car, drive to store A, get the filter then back in the car after "window shopping" while in the store--about 30 minutes minimum.

Drive to department store, find clothing item you need then back in car after "window shopping" while in store--30-45 minutes minimum.

Drive to grocery store, find items on your list, walk the aisles to see what is on sale that you might have missed then back in the car--30-60 minutes.

Time driving between three locations--here it would be about 7-10 miles and about 20 minutes to drive, park and get inside the stores; at my former home it would be closer to 25 miles and at least 45 minutes to drive, park and get inside the stores.

Alternative #1 go to a big box store and get everything in one trip or alternative #2 go online, order everything which will be delivered.

How can small local businesses compete with expediency?  They probably could if they were all located in one location where customers have a short walk between stores but that is rarely reality as mom and pop stores are usually spread out across a wide area.

To even begin to solve the problem of small businesses closing WE need to make major adjustments to our way of doing things starting with getting off the Internet and back into "single purpose" local stores.

Apologies.  Rant over.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp   I agree with a lot of your explanations, but you left out theft and smash and grabs. Mall stores are closing because many are fearful to be there. Macy's is closing many stores and Nordtroms has been hit hard in downtown locations in big cities. 

The bigger stores may be able to absorb some losses by crime, but the smaller privately owned businesses and restaurants just need to close.

Honored Contributor

@wifey2qt 

@wifey2qt wrote:

This happens everywhere sadly......QVC is a prime example

Yes, QVC along with a whole handful of other businesses that depend upon a mix of shoppers' money along with big investers' dollars.  

That's not where I see that money going - my only question is which business closes or transforms greatly first. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus,  I intentionally left smash and grabs out of the equation since few are aimed at local mom and pop type stores and most mom and pop type stores are not located in malls or "one stop" shopping places.

Aside from the statistically expected break-ins and robberies the mom and pop type businesses facing the biggest threat are those that are targeted for their  ATM machines.  Theft of those machines, even attempts at stealing the machines, cause a lot of property damage.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

My husband started a small business in his 20s. He had that business for about 30 yrs. Then discount catalogs followed by the internet which offered cheaper versions of his product for lower prices caused him to close. 

Thankfully he had a side business which he expanded and still has today.

Honored Contributor

Simple. People sold our country to foreign countries for cheap junk we could buy and buy and buy rather than pay a living wage to USA companies (and give people jobs) for quality products.

Nobody to blame but us.