Honored Contributor

You can help STOP poaching

[ Edited ]

The Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh Foundation have helped work to develop a stunning drone program to help stop poaching.

Currently, elephants and rhinos are the focus.  

I see no reason they cannot include lions and/or other animals soon .

If you are interested in donating (I did), you can go to the Air Shepherd site HERE to view the program.  (If you are hesitant, feel free to do your own research on the foundation.  I found them to be legitimate.)

They will respond to email as well.  My guess is they are getting a lot of requests to include big cats in the program.

p.s.  I have no connection to this foundation or their work other than that I support them and this groundbreaking work they are doing.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: You can help stop poaching

@GingerPeach

Thank you, Homegirl.  Something must be done.  Right now, after learning about Jericho, I'm totally at a loss for words (printable words that is).

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whatever they are doing must not be working.  I think we need to spend less time becoming hysterical over a lion and worry about other more threatened species.

There is also plenty of poaching going on in the U.S.  Where's the concern about that?  It's very sad that the lion was killed but there are hundreds of animals illegally shot every year in the U.S.  There are people keeping big cats in private zoos under horrendous conditions right here at home.  Get excited about that.

NAIROBI — While the world mourned Cecil, the 13-year-old lion that was allegedly shot by an American hunter in Zimbabwe, an even more devastating poaching incident was quietly carried out in Kenya.

Poachers killed five elephants in Tsavo West National Park on Monday night. The carcasses were recovered by rangers on Tuesday morning — what appeared to be an adult female and her four offspring, their tusks hacked off.

While the killing of the lion in Zimbabwe has attracted the world’s attention, the death of the five elephants has received almost no coverage, even though elephants are under a far greater threat from poachers than lions. Their tusks can be sold in Asia for more than $1,000 per pound.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kachina, I'm sure you mean well, but there is not much point in posting more horror stories.  

And I don't think you read anything about what the Lindbergh Foundation is doing.  THEY HAVE JUST STARTED.  Nowhere does it say they've been working on this for many years.  It is unfair to say it is not working when it has barely started.  I'm not even going to address the "hysterical" comment.

We are trying to spread the word that it is possible to help.  We already know about the horrible acts man can and does do.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.