Super Contributor

Re: You buy a gift for a friend...

On 3/19/2015 Alley Catvocate said:
On 3/19/2015 JustJules said:

If they are good enough friends to be exchanging gifts of that value, then yes I would say something to my friend. My reasoning is this: 1) If the friend intentionally gave a fake Coach bag then that friend is essentially a liar and not trustworthy. They should be confronted about it. 2) If the friend gave the fake Coach bag without knowing it was a fake, they would want to know. Perhaps they were given it as a gift and never used it, or purchased it from someone thinking it was real.

Either way there are issues that need to be addressed, and if the friend giving the fake Coach purse gets offended they aren't worth having as a friend.

WOW!

WOW what? If you disagree, perhaps you can say why other than just "WOW".

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I'm sorry, everyone. Just avoiding p**fing of an interesting/enjoyable thread. That's all, folks.

No problem ROMARY!

Even if I have not responded to each post...I have read every post and TY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Valued Contributor

No, that was enough...Smile

I already posted my thoughts...

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 VanSleepy said: I didn't see the show, but it sounds like a fake story. Was it a made-up scenario for discussion purposes? Who puts a $$ range that wide, especially for a birthday gift, and what a coincidence they each bought purses. Anyway, I would not say anything to the friend besides thank you. Edited to say that I didn't mean YOU made it up, croemer

She was very animated and I think it is true Van. Wendy has a "ASK" Wendy at the end of each show. An audience member asks her a question and she answers what she would do.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/19/2015 beammeupscottie said:
On 3/19/2015 croemer said:

I'd let it go and then next year just exchange cards.

Also, the "fake" Coach bag...I have a question. Was it truly fake or was it bought at an Outlet? The outlet stores have product that are produced by Coach but are not the same usually as what is in the Coach stores. (Some are the same but most are not).

So, if it was purchased at an Outlet it could have still very well cost the required 2 to 3 hundred $

She said she had proof she had it appraised...guess she was suspicious?

Preds I will even split for Mexican food.

I wonder though because of the fact that the outlets don't carry the same merchandise.

And don't get me started on those fake purse parties.

Never heard of those parties scottie?

Often they sell those knock-off purses at home parties. The people who mfg. and sell these purses are tied to organized crime and terrorists.

Oh goodness, what a generalization. I had a friend that hosted "fake purse" parties and she was neither in the mafia or a terrorist. It was just a fun excuse for a bunch of gals to get together, drink wine, chit chat and catch up, meet new friends, and accessorize our wardrobes without spending a fortune. I have a few fake Kate Spade and Fendi bags and I'm no terrorist either. Some of the knock-offs are very good reproductions. Unless you look at the label or examine the stitching very closely, it's hard to tell. I remember when I went with my aunt, cousin, and mom on a day cruise from San Diego down to Ensenada Mexico. We purchased some fake D&B bags and giggled like school girls over our stash.

I don't think she is saying the people who host the parties are guilty of that but the people who manufacture them are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/business/worldbusiness/12iht-fake.4569452.html?_r=0

http://www.voanews.com/content/counterfeit-industry-tied-to-organized-crime-terrorism/1363590.html

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/19/2015 Preds said:
On 3/19/2015 nunya said:

I would never say a word about a gift.

I agree. A gift is a gift and just that. No matter the price. I've had "cheap" gifts that meant more to me than an expensive "show off'" gift. You give from the heart ... not the purse ... pun intended. LOL

Let me be the third to agree!

Real friends don't keep score re: money and gifts!

The REAL gifts are friendship, acceptance and love!

DING!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I would agree except the friend set the limit and like Jules I would have found my friend not such a good friend if she set the limit and then bought me a fake gift....not cool...in my book.

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Preds said:
On 3/19/2015 nunya said:

I agree. A gift is a gift and just that. No matter the price. I've had "cheap" gifts that meant more to me than an expensive "show off'" gift. You give from the heart ... not the purse ... pun intended. LOL

DING!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I would agree except the friend set the limit and like Jules I would have found my friend not such a good friend if she set the limit and then bought me a fake gift....not cool...in my book.

next year the friend gets chiclets {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

I'd let it go and then next year just exchange cards.

Also, the "fake" Coach bag...I have a question. Was it truly fake or was it bought at an Outlet? The outlet stores have product that are produced by Coach but are not the same usually as what is in the Coach stores. (Some are the same but most are not).

So, if it was purchased at an Outlet it could have still very well cost the required 2 to 3 hundred $

She said she had proof she had it appraised...guess she was suspicious?

Preds I will even split for Mexican food.

I wonder though because of the fact that the outlets don't carry the same merchandise.

And don't get me started on those fake purse parties.

Never heard of those parties scottie?

Often they sell those knock-off purses at home parties. The people who mfg. and sell these purses are tied to organized crime and terrorists.

Oh goodness, what a generalization. I had a friend that hosted "fake purse" parties and she was neither in the mafia or a terrorist. It was just a fun excuse for a bunch of gals to get together, drink wine, chit chat and catch up, meet new friends, and accessorize our wardrobes without spending a fortune. I have a few fake Kate Spade and Fendi bags and I'm no terrorist either. Some of the knock-offs are very good reproductions. Unless you look at the label or examine the stitching very closely, it's hard to tell. I remember when I went with my aunt, cousin, and mom on a day cruise from San Diego down to Ensenada Mexico. We purchased some fake D&B bags and giggled like school girls over our stash.

I don't think she is saying the people who host the parties are guilty of that but the people who manufacture them are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/business/worldbusiness/12iht-fake.4569452.html?_r=0

http://www.voanews.com/content/counterfeit-industry-tied-to-organized-crime-terrorism/1363590.html

Yes...I am sure that is what scottie meant. I have read this as well. I just didn't realize they have these parties.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 nunya said:

next year the friend gets chiclets

The fake ones made in Mexico.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 nunya said:
On 3/19/2015 Preds said:
On 3/19/2015 nunya said:

DING!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

next year the friend gets chiclets {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

and maybe a card?Cool