Respected Contributor

Re: You are so hard to buy for.................

@Sooner wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Don't you just love it. As you are opening your gift and the giver says......You are so hard to buy for!

I often think that the giver(family) doesn't have any imagination or maybe doesn't know me or my life very well. 

The gift and the thought is appreciated even if it is prefaced by the remark. Maybe it is an apology for the gift or insecurity of making a gift selection?

@granddi Honestly?  That and your assessment of the person sounds to me it is someone you don't like and/or don't get along with.  Sounds like somebody doesn't like somebody--possibly going both ways.

ARE you hard to buy for?  I am.  And I will admit it. 

Oh no, it's not a issue of not liking or getting along. I just thought this was a common topic that would be fun to chat about. 

Gift giving and receiving is challenging on both sides. I enjoy giving gifts that people will want, enjoy, appreciate and want them to  know that I enjoyed the selection of the gift I am giving. I would not want the person to think that selecting their gift was burden. So I would personally not use the phrase "you are hard to buy for"

Honored Contributor

My kids tell me that.  And I am.  I tell them over and over I have everything, and I am fortunate to be able to buy things if I need them.   My house is packed.  I have 2 storage lockers because I have some of my dads stuff when he passed, then my stepfather, my husbands parents and now my mom.  My moms stuff is like heirlooms big time.  I am packed.  I really mean it when I say I dont need anything.  They usually buy us a gift card for sushi we love, and thT is a great gift.

i think if someone tells you that you are hard to buy for it is not a negative thing.  I think they are people who really care, and want you to need and love what you get.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

If my family would listen to me,I would be so easy to buy for, but sadly they don't. (excet for one yr a while ago)

As a Senior .... I would prefer a food item, since I already have way too much of everything else.

I don't get out to food shop and something like a gallon of choc Ice cream would be my DREAM GIFT.............lol

@MalteseMomma, you would be such an easy date. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Don't you just love it. As you are opening your gift and the giver says......You are so hard to buy for!

I often think that the giver(family) doesn't have any imagination or maybe doesn't know me or my life very well. 

The gift and the thought is appreciated even if it is prefaced by the remark. Maybe it is an apology for the gift or insecurity of making a gift selection?

That giver is socially inept.  True or not, you don't say that to the receiver as they're opening the gift.

Honored Contributor

I have accepted there are a whole lot of people, like my husband, who just do not know how to buy gifts for others!  I had no clue my husband had never bought a gift for anyone before we married, but once I figured it out, I understood why I received such crappy gifts the first couple of years.  Over the course of 45 years, I can count on one hand the number of acceptable gifts he has purchased on his own.   We are both happier if I choose my own gifts! 

Honored Contributor

I used to hear that at times when my family members and I all exchanged gifts.  I would think to myself --- really?  why?  I always thought I was very easy to read, was happy with the simplest of things, did not have expensive tastes or wants, and liked typical things, nothing out of the ordinary.  I never was wealthy, or had a lot or fancy things, so when I received that kind of remark, I couldn't figure it out.???  If someone gave me a little trinket from the dollar store, I was happy!  I'm glad when after many, many years, I finally convinced everyone to stop all this needeless spending and just concentrate on the children!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

I also dislike hearing this.  I've been married to the same man for 29 years.  We have been together for 31.  Without fail my mother-in-law says this to me on Christmas day.  She has never taken the time to know me.  I feel insulted by her gifts because of this.  

This year she got me a meat grinder.  A meat grinder.  I bet she wants a meat grinder and that's why I got one from her. 

@DrakesMomma 

This is sooooo funny. Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh.......lol

Valued Contributor

@MalteseMomma - I help where I can Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I agree w/many of these posts. But,it would be nice to receive something small or be told if one has decided to not gift. And how about Thank You's?

Respected Contributor

That’s what my mother said to me as I unwrapped the throw she got me. If you can’t bother putting any thought into a gift, please don’t bother wrapping up the most generic thing you can find that the don’t need and don’t want. I had no trouble coming up with things I knew my mother would enjoy but wouldn’t buy for herself. Surely she could have done the same for me.