Respected Contributor

Re: You are so hard to buy for.................

[ Edited ]

I have never had anyone say this to me.  My Mother was the most difficult person I have ever had to purchase gifts for.  She would see you coming in the door with the "gift" and start saying something negative about what you had in hand already! LOL

Whether it was flowers (my brother and his wife did that mistake many times over the yrs) or just the packaging the items were in!

ANd you better have the receipt ready with the amount on it....and many times you needed to return and get a gift card for her with it after all.  

I was so stressed out about my gifts for her....it was like she was holding high court and we had to come in and present our gifts....and hope she didn't say the dreaded "WHY did you buy me this color or whatever" and "is the receipt in the bag!" LOL

Yet she wanted you to buy her gifts to open...and many of my brothers wives gave up and she always got a gift card.  She would complain to me that I was the only one buying her a gift.  

I am NOTHING like this....you can get me a card....a flower....a candle....or nothing but a hug and I am smiling and happy to see you...period.  At my age I am not waiting and hoping that anyone is buying me something and I am excited like a 5yr old.  I buy WAY to much stuff these last yrs for myself. 

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@dex wrote:

As we get older we are all hard to buy for.We don't need stuff and don't want clutter.I feel bad if I waste a persons money when I don't need the gift.I am happy with a hug for Christmas and a visit is the topping off that makes a day special for me.

No, we are not all hard to buy for...

Sorry to be so general but I don't know anyone who wants more stuff in my age group.We are trying to downsize so our kids don't have a huge amount to get rid of some day.What were some gift ideas that you would like to receive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If my family would listen to me,I would be so easy to buy for, but sadly they don't. (excet for one yr a while ago)

As a Senior .... I would prefer a food item, since I already have way too much of everything else.

I don't get out to food shop and something like a gallon of choc Ice cream would be my DREAM GIFT.............lol

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

If my family would listen to me,I would be so easy to buy for, but sadly they don't. (excet for one yr a while ago)

As a Senior .... I would prefer a food item, since I already have way too much of everything else.

I don't get out to food shop and something like a gallon of choc Ice cream would be my DREAM GIFT.............lol

I have to laugh because my moms favorite gift was a can of garbanzo beans.She doesn't get out to food shop either.I hope your family will get some groceries that you need.

Honored Contributor

How about socks ? Nearly everyone wears them and they come at all price points. Fuzzy or smooth, warm and soft. Fit isn't a problem and you can always stick a coffee card in if you wish. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I really do dislike the whole gifting business of Christmas. The not knowing what to get, the feeling of having to give something...even if the recipient says don’t. Yes, cash is always the right size, gift cards work most of the time (not cards for stores/restaurants inconvenient for the recipient).  I gave gift cards (to places I knew they enjoyed) to a friend a few years as nothing more than a thank you for help during the year. They gave various actual gifts...never necessary, always appreciated...maybe because I gave something?  The year after we “traded” gift cards, we agreed on the foolishness of that and now settle for sincere holiday wishes. 

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

I also dislike hearing this.  I've been married to the same man for 29 years.  We have been together for 31.  Without fail my mother-in-law says this to me on Christmas day.  She has never taken the time to know me.  I feel insulted by her gifts because of this.  

This year she got me a meat grinder.  A meat grinder.  I bet she wants a meat grinder and that's why I got one from her. 

Super Contributor

Esme, I agree with you on the gift cards or the cold hard cash.  After a few holidays of exchanging cash for cash or cards for cards, we laughed, said lets just spend time with each other whenever we can, not necessarily at Christmas.  The reason for the season isn't the gifts, it's the love.

Super Contributor

If you spend any time with a person you should have an idea of what they like.  If not gift cards are always nice.  I have 2 girlfriends I have known over 25 years.  One loves Micky Mouse everything and cookbooks.  The other loves EVERYTHING Dallas Cowboys.  For their birthdays and Christmas I try (succeed) to get them something they will like.  They continue to give me wall hangings about friendship and lotions.  I do not want any wall hangings nor do I want those bottles of lotions that I will never use. In 2020 I am telling everyone do not give my any bath/body products.  I have certain products I like and will get them for myself.  I have everything on my walls and do not have room for anything else.  Unless you gift someone with their favorite bath/ body product why bother.  If someone is hard to shop for,  stop trying and give them a gift card so they can get something they really want and call it a day.

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@MalteseMomma  I wish I lived by you. I would totally gift you gallon(s) of ice cream!  Smiley Happy Ice cream reminds me of my beloved papa.