Honored Contributor

Re: You are so hard to buy for.................

I am the EASIEST person to buy for! I like everything!! I'm always thrilled that anyone would take time out of their busy life to buy for me! I'm honored that so happy when I open gifts picked out just for me. Woman HappyHeart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   I disagree with every thing you wrote...sorry about that.

Sometimes the buyer does not have much money to buy gifts.  They are not cheap, they are just not financial able, but they either want to get you something. I know this to be a fact, because I was once there.  It was Christmas time, and we had very little money.  I had to chose between paying my bills and eating or buying gifts.

It is difficult to find something nice for someone with limited or no funds.

Even with great thought, it is difficult to come up with a idea for a gift for some people.  If they seem to have everything and they can afford anything they want and need, what could you possible get them that they will like?

There are people who will donate or toss just about anything you give them and say it was the thought that counts.

BullHockey!!!  If you are the giver and you are on a tight budget, that might mean you had to go without something in order to gift them. There is no way anyone wants to waste their money.  Most people get someone the best thing they can afford and want to make the recipient happy.

Trusted Contributor

Here's an all-time winner. . . I was spending time with one of the instructors at a school we both work for and when it came to holiday gifts, I had already purchased his a couple of months earlier when I noticed that he was really fascinated by a painting at a local art show.

He kept asking me what I wanted and I told him just something that reminded him of me or that he thought I would like, as I didn't need anything or would buy it for myself.

Anyway, after wracking his brain, what he told me was, "The only thing I know you like is to spend time with me, so I will take you to some of my favorite places as your gift." After holding back my laughter, I suggested that he make a donation to a pet charity in my name, and he said, "Oh yeah - you like dogs!"

Honored Contributor

No reason to be sorry, people see the whole gift thing differently.   I've never believed in giving someone a throw away gift or something I know full well they won't like our use just because I'm low on funds and I feel I must give them something.  Of course, there were years early on when we didn't have a lot of money for gifts but that's what homemade  banana bread, brownies  and  cookies are for. My girls and I  would look for interesting tins during the summer.    I often gave cards with heartfelt messages inside and I think that was more of a gift than Niagara Falls dishtowels from the Dollar Store.  That's especially true for people who seem to have everything.  If you know they love Dunkin Donuts coffee, what could be a nicer gift than a $10 gift card or two pounds of their favorite flavor?  Christmas doesn't sneak up on anyone, we all know it's coming and we know when it's coming.  We also know what our budget is going to look like so those who feel they must give someone a gift, there's always an option that doesn't require an apology before they open it.    

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

As we get older we are all hard to buy for.We don't need stuff and don't want clutter.I feel bad if I waste a persons money when I don't need the gift.I am happy with a hug for Christmas and a visit is the topping off that makes a day special for me.

No, we are not all hard to buy for...

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

The whole notion of a day designed just to give gifts is absurd.  This is why I no longer give or accept "Christmas presents".  Some of the responses here say it all.  Has become nothing more than one of those "money grab" events.  I give gifts to who I want, when I want and they all come from the heart.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

My take on that statement is that as people get older, they buy what they want - when they want it. Yes, you can listen to what someone says they like during the year and hope they haven't purchased it by the time you gift it to them. I just figure the key is to be grateful for any gift, and donate what you can't use.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

There are times I want to respond to a post and I pull back from posting because I am not quite sure I am able to respond without coming across as offensive. I have read and re-read all the posts to try and be objective but my opinion of the original post is the same.

One of the holiest days of the year and the memory that stands out is that someone commented "you are so hard to buy for". I only buy for family members and/or close friends. I would not be and they would not be offended by that comment. Mainly because it is true. We are hard to buy for. We see something we buy.

I have said that same comment in the past to those I bought for and I have had it said to me. It was not said in malice. It was said just as a comment. 

I am in agreement with @Sooner . I think there is more than what is being stated. 

Valued Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Everything WhatNow said goes for me. I am hard to buy for. Don't need anyone selecting artwork or cutsie saying for my walls. I select my own style for clothes, etc. Gift cards, movie cards and scarves are perfect for me. Or a hug! 

Same here - in fact I have suggested to my in-laws that rather than buying "stuff" for DH & I to please donate to a worthy charity - they refuse so I end up donating almost everything to Goodwill. SMH

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I am the EASIEST person to buy for! I like everything!! I'm always thrilled that anyone would take time out of their busy life to buy for me! I'm honored that so happy when I open gifts picked out just for me. Woman HappyHeart

The excitement of not knowing what is wrapped up just for me is thrilling.

The truth is - I have sooo much stuff - my GF's will ask me if I want the stuff they are taking to Savers or Good Will.   I do the same to them.  We are ALL starting to downsize.  

A gift card to Panera/good lunchy restaurant is always a welcomed gift.