Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: You and Your First Car

[ Edited ]

1973 Mercury Capris, Standard. Dad gave me a 15 minute lesson on how to drive a standard. He drove farm equipment as a teen and tank in WW2, said it was easy - I'd catch on. A lot of head jerking until I caught on. Shocked me with this gift. After dad paid for college tuitions and a wedding for older siblings, I offered to work part-time and pay for community college so he could catch up financially. Worked for me - off to junior year in another city and he surprised me with this gift. I loved this car! Thanks, dad!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

1979 Buick Century with hatchback.

Baby poop brown.

The bumper rusted out and while driving, half of if fell off. 

I got out, pried the other half off and stuck it in the trunk (which I drove with it open till I got home).

Those were the days, 1985.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No pic but our 1st car was a Hs  graduation gift from our dad.  

My brother got a 1968 Mustang Mach One fully loaded in green.  He loved that car ...used to call it his "chick magnet" although he was a "hunk" basketball player all the girls loved!

My first car was a 1975 Chevy Ss Chevelle  loaded convertible.  It was bronzed & gorgeous.  I thought I was hot stuff driving it.

Then, our dad felt "left out" so he went and bought a 1776 burnt orange corvette (good bye station wagon) ...it was t-top style full options.  Poor guy only drove it once in awhile my brother & I always found a reason we needed to drive his car!  he always said yes!,,

What fun times!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fourpaws56 wrote:

vImage result for model t ford

When I saw this picture I laughed out loud, love it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative  From the posts here - and every single one by us women - had some fabulous first autos didn't we? I read and re-read all of these and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Our stories, our cars - to have them all back right now, all of us lined up in front of our fab autos would make for a stunning site.

Men, eat your hearts out!!!  And they think women don't know about great cars, I beg to differ.

I had to do a little research on mine. Here's my first car story.

I live in Columbus OH and for some reason the stars aligned in 1984. Movie directors came to town and chose one of the area high schools downtown (Central High School to be exact) to film a movie called "Teachers". The fabulous star Nick Nolte was the lead. JoBeth Williams (from "The Big Chill") was in it, Jud Hursch, a very young Ralph Macchio, Laura Dern just name a few.

The powers that were back then put an ad in the college newspaper (the Ohio State Univ paper called 'The Lantern') looking for a car for Nick Nolte to drive in the movie. For who knows what reason they wanted to use a Volvo, not just any but specifically a 144GL 4 door sedan but a brown one.  DH saw this ad and told me about it.

WHAT????? I said, c*ap I own a car just like that except mine was a (denim) blue in color. So I answered the ad. Low and behold I got a phone call to drive it down to the school where everybody was. The director & producer (and others I'm sure) checked it out, mulled it over even though mine was blue. Before the day was over my car was IN.

In the movie and even more thrilling, Nick Nolte drove my freaking first car I ever owned, my blue Volvo 144GL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me????  Is it okay we use it they asked me. We'll pay you - PAY ME - to use my car in this movie in Cbus OH AND the heart throb of my life Nick Nolte was going to sit in it and drive it AND have Ralph Macchio in the back seat with a young Laura Dern??????

Yes, I believe this will be okay for me to not have my car for your filming days using it.

I made a few cool thousands of dollars but unfortunately I never got the opportunity to meet my driver Mr Nolte. That would have been priceless.

That's my first car story.  And yes, this is a true story. There's a trailer of this movie "Teachers" that you can see the rear of my car in the parking lot. Watch the movie sometime, you'll see my first car!

Contributor

I didn't have anything impressive but my first car was a 1964 tan Plymouth Valiant. I was 16 and had just got my license. Loved my car because my Daddy picked it out and I worked that summer and payed him back. Even managed to put a new set of "retread" tires on it before school started in the fall. I kept getting stopped by the police until one of them that had stopped me a few times told me to sit on a pillow because I was so short they thought I was a kid. I got the pillow!  Lol  I had that car until a few years after being married. Miss my Daddy and sometimes I miss the good old days with my first car. 

Esteemed Contributor

My first car was a used 1963 beetle.  I was in Germany and had never driven a stick so my roommate said she'd teach me -- she did, on the autobahn!  Btw, in Germany you drive using your rearview mirror, it you were in a slow car (beetle) you had to recognize any car grill that went faster than you.  Germans always maxed out the speed on their cars and at that time there were no speed limits on the autobahn!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

My very first brand new car.

T-Bird reduced.jpg

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Love the car. My first car was an old kind of beat up Volkswagen. A new kind of freedom. 

Respected Contributor

885D85AA-8D40-4CD7-A7F5-857898DC39D1.jpeg