Respected Contributor

Re: You Tuber Who Re-homed Her Adopted Child

@Moonlady wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie 

Acceptable? Now, you're getting "judgy."

Someone asked early on if it's legal. Of course, it is. Biological children can be surrendered for adoption. Adopted children, legally considered to be the same as biological children, can be, too. 

Whether or not they should, is nobody's business but their own.

The bottom line is that a biological child in the custody of their parent(s) and legally adopted children are theoretically eligible to be adopted by someone else. However, it is much more complicated than simply "surrendering" a child for adoption. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie 

Acceptable? Now, you're getting "judgy."

Someone asked early on if it's legal. Of course, it is. Biological children can be surrendered for adoption. Adopted children, legally considered to be the same as biological children, can be, too. 

Whether or not they should, is nobody's business but their own.

@Moonlady, I could be wrong, but I think that the idea of a parent giving up a biological child was not brought up by @Mmsfoxxie but by another poster whose comment was accidentally placed in Mfoxxie's quote.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I never even knew you could do this. Legally return a child. Rehome is just putting a nice label on it.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I have no probelm judging them. They are disgusting. She totally monetized the adoption process on her youtube channel asking for donations and using him as a prop to get more hits and advertising spots as well as endorsements. She had a deal with Fabletics, but they dropped her (thank goodness).

I have zero sympathy for them and think they kept him until the pros (money) didn't outweighed the cons (the work it took to raise him). She should take down every video of him as she is still benefitting from them. They suddenly stopped posting videos of him, and when people demanded to know where he was, they were met with silence or were blocked. They had to finally admit they gave him away.

I'm so sick of these youtubers exploiting their kids. He was treated like a rescue dog, not their child. There's no way you will ever convince me they would treat their biological children so callously.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I have no probelm judging them. They are disgusting. She totally monetized the adoption process on her youtube channel asking for donations and using him as a prop to get more hits and advertising spots as well as endorsements. She had a deal with Fabletics, but they dropped her (thank goodness).

I have zero sympathy for them and think they kept him until the pros (money) didn't outweighed the cons (the work it took to raise him). She should take down every video of him as she is still benefitting from them. They suddenly stopped posting videos of him, and when people demanded to know where he was, they were met with silence or were blocked. They had to finally admit they gave him away.

I'm so sick of these youtubers exploiting their kids. He was treated like a rescue dog, not their child. There's no way you will ever convince me they would treat their biological children so callously.

@JJsMom, this is exactly how I feel but I thought I was the only one.  It makes me sick.

Honored Contributor

Okay, I'm looking at this as if I were one of the other children. Would I be grateful for being "normal" so mom and dad don't rehome me? Would I have anxiety brought on by attempting to please my parents so I wouldn't get the boot? Now that I learned funds were requested in order to adopt this child, and there was a lot of showboating online when she got him, I'm feeling disgusted by the whole process. Personally, I think the mother's actions made it impossible to quietly have him disappear so now she's grandstanding again. My prediction is the remaining kids will suffer silently as a result of their mother's desire to be in the limelight. 

Respected Contributor

Good point @AuntG The siblings will be traumatized as well. Can you imagine your parents giving away a sibling? They are terrible.

This is a snippet from a Buzzfeed article. You can google it to read the rest if you're interested.

Myka produced 27 videos about their “adoption journey,” including a 13-part series of “adoption updates.” In the series, Myka answered questions about the process of adopting from China and the emotions she felt.

In some videos, Myka plugged a fundraiser she had organized for Huxley’s unspecified needs. She said every person who donated $5 would unlock a different piece of a 1,000-piece puzzle, which would, at the end, be a photo of Huxley that she would reveal to the world. She also said she would write the names of all donors in his baby book.

In a sponsored video from 2017, Myka said she was using her proceeds from YouTube ads towards her adoption, writing in the caption that the sponsorship “profits are going towards bringing our SON home from China!”

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The consequence of splashing your family business on social media is public judgement. Putting your child’s life front and center to promote oneself as a public figure is unfair to the child.