Honored Contributor

Re: You Said How Much For The Peaches?

Shop Rite Peaches - $2.99 a pound.

Respected Contributor

$2.48  / #  in our latest Ad Up North. Wal-Mart may be cheaper?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

Oh my, I love peaches but that price.......😳😳

I am waiting for the Eckert tree ripened peaches grown in Belleville Illinois.  I sure hope they remain affordable.....🤞🤞🤞

I have never heard of an Eckert peach.  This must be a regional thing.

The best peach I ever had is known as a Cal Ripkin grown locally by a farmer in the area.  It is out of this world and only available during the third week in August. 

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@godi wrote:

I wanted to buy 4 buns for a cookout. I found a package no price on shelf went to register they were 8 dollars!  I did not buy them. They were brioche buns but geez that's ridiculous. I would have passed on the peaches also. 

@godi   Wow!  I guess this is how things are going to be going forward with the cost of fuel so high.

Retailers will try to put it in with the cost of items.

@Mersha - let us not forget that there are 25 million TONS of grain stuck in Ukraine that they can't get out because of the war. 

@gidgetgh 

• The United States exported some 27.22 million metric tons of wheat in 2018/2019, and imported about 3.81 million metric tons of wheat in that time period. In 2018/2019, the United States had the fifth largest production volume of wheat worldwide, at 51.29 million metric tons.
Respected Contributor

I live in GA and local GA peaches at the supermarket were 87 cents/pound.  However, they were a little bigger than a golf ball, did not look very good.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@godi wrote:

I wanted to buy 4 buns for a cookout. I found a package no price on shelf went to register they were 8 dollars!  I did not buy them. They were brioche buns but geez that's ridiculous. I would have passed on the peaches also. 

@godi   Wow!  I guess this is how things are going to be going forward with the cost of fuel so high.

Retailers will try to put it in with the cost of items.

@Mersha - let us not forget that there are 25 million TONS of grain stuck in Ukraine that they can't get out because of the war. 

@gidgetgh 

• The United States exported some 27.22 million metric tons of wheat in 2018/2019, and imported about 3.81 million metric tons of wheat in that time period. In 2018/2019, the United States had the fifth largest production volume of wheat worldwide, at 51.29 million metric tons.

@Sooner - I only posted what I've seen and heard on the news. That Ukraine and Russia are the largest exporters of grain in the world and that currently there are 25 million tons of Ukraine stuck there and "they" are trying to figure out how to get it out.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I live in Georgia. DH and friend will be going Wednesday to the Pearson Peach farm in Fort Valley. This has been the most anticipated trip each year for over 20 years. It will be interesting to learn the cost for a case of peaches this year. In previous years the peaches have been large with at  least 70 peaches in the case. The trip to Pearson's has been the last three years. Prior to this traveled  to Reynolds Georgia to the Taylor orchards but they closed.🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑. I slice the peaches and add a little sugar and fruit fresh and put them in the freezer. Last year for my birthday- DH gave me Ball electric water bath canner and the electric jelly maker and this year will be able to make peach jelly.🍑🍑🍑🍑

Respected Contributor

I ordered a case of Peach Truck peaches. They’ll be here next week. A 25 pound box is $47.
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Farm markets around here (SE PA) are universally outrageously priced. There must be a lot of people who don't mind paying a premium for "locally-grown" and "fresh-picked."  But not me.  I buy from stands once in a while but most of my produce comes from the supermarket.

I grew up in rural Western New York.  Farm stands there were a bargain - and, surprise, their produce was good.

Here in South Jersey, most of the local farm stands go to the wholesale produce market in Philly overnight and buy their stuff then bring it to their stands to sell it. Very few grow the stuff themselves. It's often the exact same stuff you'd buy in a supermarket. Things like strawberries and blueberries they'll take out of the commercial container and repackage in "farm stand" type containers but they're the same berries you'd buy elsewhere, just at a marked-up price. It's cheaper and easier for the farm stand owners to do that than grow the stuff themselves. They make more money for less work and the customers don't know any better. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Home grown peaches from Fredericksburg, TX are $2.50 a pound. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”