Respected Contributor

Re: You Said How Much For The Peaches?

@CatsyCline wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee    i gave up on peaches because they are all woody inside. they're picked unripe and the stores refrigerate them too cold.   there are local ones but they're small harvest  and  ready in late August. i live too far North for decent Southern peaches. even Jersey peaches not worth it.

The peaches available at the grocery store just do not compare to what I get at our farmer's market.  Later in the summer, all of the peaches offered are grown by farmers in the area and they are delicious.

Our Eastern Shore in Maryland farmers grow wonderful fruits and veggies but the best are not available until later in the summer.  Our farmer's markets will travel there to pick them up and sell at their stands.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

I live in Georgia. DH and friend will be going Wednesday to the Pearson Peach farm in Fort Valley. This has been the most anticipated trip each year for over 20 years. It will be interesting to learn the cost for a case of peaches this year. In previous years the peaches have been large with at  least 70 peaches in the case. The trip to Pearson's has been the last three years. Prior to this traveled  to Reynolds Georgia to the Taylor orchards but they closed.🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑. I slice the peaches and add a little sugar and fruit fresh and put them in the freezer. Last year for my birthday- DH gave me Ball electric water bath canner and the electric jelly maker and this year will be able to make peach jelly.🍑🍑🍑🍑

@SouthernBee  Since your state is known for its delicious peaches, I bet yours will be amazing. 
Do you plan on canning or making jelly with them?

@Mersha : Thank you. Hope to be putting some in the freezer  to make peach cobbler and making jelly. Last year- I made a lot of jalapeño jelly to eat and give as gifts. I make hot jalapeño jelly for my friends but make mild for me. We enjoy the jelly with townhouse crackers and cream cheese and the jelly with peas and collard greens.

This will be my first time trying to make peach jelly.😁😳🍑🍑🍑

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

I live in Georgia. DH and friend will be going Wednesday to the Pearson Peach farm in Fort Valley. This has been the most anticipated trip each year for over 20 years. It will be interesting to learn the cost for a case of peaches this year. In previous years the peaches have been large with at  least 70 peaches in the case. The trip to Pearson's has been the last three years. Prior to this traveled  to Reynolds Georgia to the Taylor orchards but they closed.🍑🍑🍑🍑🍑. I slice the peaches and add a little sugar and fruit fresh and put them in the freezer. Last year for my birthday- DH gave me Ball electric water bath canner and the electric jelly maker and this year will be able to make peach jelly.🍑🍑🍑🍑

@SouthernBee  Since your state is known for its delicious peaches, I bet yours will be amazing. 

@Mersha : Thank you. Hope to be putting some in the freezer  to make peach cobbler and making jelly. Last year- I made a lot of jalapeño jelly to eat and give as gifts. I make hot jalapeño jelly for my friends but make mild for me. We enjoy the jelly with townhouse crackers and cream cheese and the jelly with peas and collard greens.

@SouthernBee  I've never heard of jelly with peas and collard greens. Are they mixed together like a salad or are they seperate?

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@SouthernBee  I've never heard of jelly with peas and collard greens. Are they mixed together like a salad or are they seperate?

@Sage04 : So sorry about the details. I usually put a tablespoon of the jelly on the top of the peas and on top of the collards and eat separately.
When serving the jelly and cream cheese- I serve the cream cheese at room temperature and I heat the jelly up in the microwave for a few seconds and poor it on top of the cream cheese and this makes it easier to serve.
A  friend just asked if I have ever mixed the pepper jelly in my corn bread ingredients and then baked? I haven't tried this yet. I only have two jars of jelly
I make my jelly in the 4 ounce jelly jars and people what me to use bigger jars😳🤷‍♀️. Request are from people that don't cook, bake or never made jelly. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sage04 : So sorry about the details. I usually put a tablespoon of the jelly on the top of the peas and on top of the collards and eat separately.
When serving the jelly and cream cheese- I serve the cream cheese at room temperature and I heat the jelly up in the microwave for a few seconds and poor it on top of the cream cheese and this makes it easier to serve.
A  friend just asked if I have ever mixed the pepper jelly in my corn bread ingredients and then baked? I haven't tried this yet. I only have two jars of jelly
I make my jelly in the 4 ounce jelly jars and people what me to use bigger jars😳🤷‍♀️. Request are from people that don't cook, bake or never made jelly. 

@SouthernBee  you really got it going on. Never knew about those combinations. You know what, if the pepper jelly is spicy, that should taste so good with the corn bread.

My sister who moved to the Caribbean is making jelly from guavas. She's sending up some for us next week.

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee    It would be quite a hike for me to go from Holly Springs GA to Fort Valley. But if gas weren't so darned expensive I would do it. They say you get peaches that are freshly picked.  I looked at their website and the peach ice cream and cobblers are tempting.  

In the fall we go up to Ellijay for apples? I look for to that trip and it is not too far from us.