Honored Contributor

Re: You Guys, or Y'all? Next Door Study.

[ Edited ]

You're perceptive, @Icegoddess !    While I was typing that, I was thinking--  yeah, when used that way on Twitter, it's just a little like the "Bless your/her/his heart",  (but a milder form) syndrome!  Just in terms of the hidden condescending element.  It's sometimes used when the tweeter in question is about to "school" others on the thread in need of their 'wisdom' in some thing or another, ha.....

Edited to add--  I by no means want to say that everyone who utters "bless her heart" is doing it condescendingly or sarcastically-- there are lots of genuine ones out there too, of course!

Respected Contributor

Don't know whether it's accurate or not, but I have read that "you uns," of which "yinz" may be a derivative, is actually based on the very Old English address of "you ones." 

I've never actually heard anyone say "yinz." It sounds like a snack food or imported beverage.

Honored Contributor

I live in "you guys" territory.  I do use the term, but I also use plain old "you" since it is both a singular and plural pronoun.  I am equally likely to use "everyone."  

I have never used y'all, you all or yinz.  I've never heard of yinz.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Down here in North Carolina it's always y'all...  I don't think I've ever said 'you guys'...   I had never heard that expression until I went to college (52 years ago).  

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

Y'all...and plural is all y'all...🤣🤣🤣

Yes, I've said that too.

Honored Contributor

I just say "you."

You is a single or plural word.  There is no need to add all or guys to it.

It was hammered into me by the grammar police when I went to school.  I cringe when I hear you all, y'all or you guys and any other terms..such as Yunz or Yous.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell yes, Bless your heart can also be used in a sympathetic manner.  It just doesn't get as much social media usage that way.

Honored Contributor

Having spent the majority of my life in the South, I'm definitely a y'all kind of girl.  I've never in my entire life said, "you guys".  It sounds kind of stupid to me if the group isn't all guys.  I've even been known to say, "all y'all".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@noodleann   YInz is very popular in PA where I live.  They even say YInz's.

My Mother said it a lot. I never do.

Honored Contributor

I get to use both. I've lived much of my life in the Midwest, so You Guys is natural. But I've lived in the South for quite some time now and therefore also get to use Y'all as much as I want without coming across as affected.

Know what I'm glad has gone away? Peeps. My peeps. I'm a little embarrassed I ever took part in that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr