Esteemed Contributor

Re: You Guys, or Y'all? Next Door Study.

NOLA girl here, so of course it's "y'all.  But in my 20s I lived in the Midwest for a while and I switched to "you guys" during that time.  It was unconscious - people around me said it, and I found myself saying it, too, without even thinking about it.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I was raised "You Guys" but I now live in "Y'All" country.

My form of address varies depending on which I'm speaking to.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I love all the variants of casual, colloquial conversation.  In the North generally, (but with some other variations --"yinz", etc.-- noted by @Foxxee )  when people are casually addressing a friendly group, it's "you guys". 

"You all" and "y'all" were tradtionally Southern, but if you frequent social media, you might notice that those terms have made serious inroads in people from other areas.  I've noticed that when someone wants to gently "take down" someone else on Twitter, they will frequently begin "Y'all",.......",  ha.

Ah, the nuances of language.

@Oznell Gently take down someone else?  What does that mean and what part does Y'all play in it?  Is it the equivalent of the Southern "Bless your Heart"?  I would love an example.

Honored Contributor

I disagree with the folks who get bent out of shape by the term You Guys when used with women.  It's gender neutral whe used in that manner.  I hate all this changing everything to be gender neutral. I once received a certificate for being the Chair Person of a local IEEE group.  Now, that to me was offensive.  It makes it sound like I was in charge of the chairs or something.  

Occasional Contributor

I was born in Ohio

Honored Contributor

"Y'all" from this native of Maryland.

When my first cousins from Pennsylvania visited my family in Maryland when we were all youngsters, they addressed groups of people as "youse guys."

We laughed at their regional verbal custom and they laughed at ours.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I love all the variants of casual, colloquial conversation.  In the North generally, (but with some other variations --"yinz", etc.-- noted by @Foxxee )  when people are casually addressing a friendly group, it's "you guys". 

"You all" and "y'all" were tradtionally Southern, but if you frequent social media, you might notice that those terms have made serious inroads in people from other areas.  I've noticed that when someone wants to gently "take down" someone else on Twitter, they will frequently begin "Y'all",.......",  ha.

@Oznell Gently take down someone else?  What does that mean and what part does Y'all play in it?  Is it the equivalent of the Southern "Bless your Heart"?  I would love an example.

For anyone that uses the term "bless your (his, her) heart, is that phrase generally used in a good or bad connotation?

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was born and raised in the South but never have used y'all. I say everyone. 

Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

For anyone that uses the term "bless your (his, her) heart, is that phrase generally used in a good or bad connotation?

I am southern born and raised and have maybe said that phrase a handful of times. Always said in a sincere way. The way a lot of people use it now is rude and sarcastic. 

Esteemed Contributor

Both slang saying aren't that great but the trashiest and I hear it all the

time is You's.

Sounds so horrible. 

Ex. Are yous ready to go? I got yous both a milkshake.