Honored Contributor

Re: You Guys, or Y'all? Next Door Study.

@jlkz wrote:

" Folks "....large or small groups ( waitstaff to diners, esp. when taking meal orders ).

I have gone back to managers in private and asked that waitstaff be trained to not address a group of women as " guys ."

I was wondering if anyone other than me used the term "folks" when addressing a group of people.  

Respected Contributor

Women are not guys.

"Everyone," "people," or even "folks" or "neighbors," depending on the context, are better choices for addressing a group. I'm not a guy and I know that if you address me as a male, you're probably wrong about whatever follows, so you've lost me right away.

"You guys" also grates on me because I thought we had freed ourselves from gendered addresses, and here we go, back to the trough.

As for "y'all," I see people using that turn online more often these days in an apparent attempt to sound folksy--this is when it's coming from dyed-in-the-wool Yankees like me. From genuine Southerners, it's charming when it's in speech. Unlesss it's followed by "bless your heart," of course.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

What do you say when addressing a group of people?

Dialect differences.

What's your word to address a group? It depends a lot on where you live. Just over 40% who responded to a recent Nextdoor poll asking neighbors for the term they use when speaking to two or more people chose "y'all," with another 26% saying "you guys." Plain old "you" followed with 14%, and "you all" with 13%.

"Y'all" was the most common response in the southern U.S., with "you guys" leading in the North and West, and the Midwest more split between the two. Some cities flipped the trend — with neighbors often saying they have held onto the term they learned growing up elsewhere.

About 6% of neighbors who responded said they had another word or phrase, and those tended to cluster in smaller regions. You're likely to hear neighbors use "yinz" in parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio and North Carolina, while "youse" and "youse guys" appeared frequently in New Jersey and Florida.

In my area, it's you guys; however, I usually say "everyone."

Neither. Language counts and both phrases irritate me. What ever happened to "Ladies and Gentlemen?"

Occasional Contributor

Well my grandparents who lived with us were from Kentucky and it was Yinz. "Yinz eat?"  I was raised in the south so it became y'all.  I moved a few years back to the Northeast & it became "you guys".  My mind is a mess.

Honored Contributor

just south of the mason dixon line here.

i use three interchangeably..... you guys, you all, everyone

you guys need to leave soon.

you all need to leave soon.

everyone needs to leave soon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Currently, it would be "everyone" but I grew up in Pittsburgh and "yinz" was the word used frequently.

I have been away from that city for many years but still have the accent or use particular words that identify where I am from.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Y'all I'm proud to be Southern!  And Southwestern!  I love the people here so much! 

Honored Contributor

@Schpuggy wrote:

Well my grandparents who lived with us were from Kentucky and it was Yinz. "Yinz eat?"  I was raised in the south so it became y'all.  I moved a few years back to the Northeast & it became "you guys".  My mind is a mess.

I have heard people in Ohio and PA say you inz but also you guys. I'm not quite certain if yinz is the same thing lol.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Y'all I'm proud to be Southern!  And Southwestern!  I love the people here so much! 

Me too ❤️ What a boring world it would be if we were all the same. 

Trusted Contributor

"Hello" or "Good (Evening, Afternoon, Moning)" to open the meeting.