Esteemed Contributor

A Passenger on a smaller personal aircraft landed a plane, despite his lack of knowledge about flying planes.....

A man with no flight experience landed a private aircraft at Palm Beach International Airport on Tuesday as the pilot reportedly was having a medical episode.

Neither the name of the passenger nor the name or condition of the pilot had been released by authorities as of Wednesday morning, WPBF 25 News reported.

The Federal Aviation Administration said an investigation into the matter remained ongoing.

In a video posted by the outlet, an air traffic controller is heard guiding the passenger to a safe landing.

“I’ve got a serious situation here,” the passenger is heard telling the tower in Fort Pierce. “My pilot has gone incoherent. I have no idea how to fly the airplane.”

“Roger. What’s your position?” Air Traffic Control responded.

“...I can see the coast of Florida in front of me,” the man stated.

“I have no idea how to fly the airplane.” Pilot of small plane passes out while flying off the coast of Florida. Passenger, who had never piloted a plane before, successfully lands it after air traffic controller Robert Morgan talks him through the procedure. pic.twitter.com/vDxWSgsPvz

— Mike Sington (@MikeSington) May 11, 2022

“Maintain wings level and just try to follow the coast, either north or southbound,” Air Traffic Control replied. “We’re trying to locate you.”

Four minutes pass before the passenger radios the tower again.

“Have you guys located me yet?” he asked. “I can’t even get my nav screen to turn on. It has all the information on it. You guys have any ideas on that?”

Eventually, the plane was located on the radar at which point PBIA guided him to a safe landing.

“You just witnessed a couple of passengers land that plane,” Air Traffic Control announced over the airwaves.

Another person replied, “did you say the passengers landed the plane?”

“That’s correct.”

“Oh, my gosh. Great job.”

I love this story I stumbled upon today and wanted to share it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

Re: You Go Boy ~ You Did it!!!

Amazing.  

Esteemed Contributor

What an amazing story. I can't imagine having to land a plane with no knowledge. Both men are incredible. The air traffic controller for the clear instruction, and the passenger remaining so calm. 

Esteemed Contributor

I saw that story on the news this morning. Good for that guy!  I would like to think that any one of us could remain calm enough to follow directions to land a plane.  Obviously, remaining calm and listening to the instructions are certainly the key here.  For me, I would be lucky to be able to figure out how to contact anyone in the first place!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset  I would like to think I could remain calm in that situation, but I sure don't want to be tested - EVER! Good on that guy! I stopped flying in those little planes many years ago. Not a fan.

Honored Contributor

I was amazed at what an incredibly good job he did!

I got to fly a plane once.  It was so awesome.  But he (the plane owner, my boss at the time) took over for the landing of course.   I would not have known what to do!  

Kudos on a job brilliantly done!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

We never know what we can do until we are faced with a challenge.  We can't predict our actions in situations we've never been in.  Even when we have been under certain circumstances, that repeat themselves, we stell don't know.

That Fight or Fligh kicks in and we either panic, or fight.  This guy didn't panic and took good directions.  I love stories like this.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

Quite a story. It is always good to read such an amazing story that gives people a boost of joy here. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I saw that story on the news this morning. Good for that guy!  I would like to think that any one of us could remain calm enough to follow directions to land a plane.  Obviously, remaining calm and listening to the instructions are certainly the key here.  For me, I would be lucky to be able to figure out how to contact anyone in the first place!

Indeed @Puppy Lips .  The actual footage of the landing has a link in this story or you can go straight to the news channel's website.  I absolutely love it.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

Quite a story. It is always good to read such an amazing story that gives people a boost of joy here. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

Truer words, have never been spoken @hckynutjohn .