Respected Contributor

You Can Have Tea at Windsor Castle!

Located in the oldest space in the castle, the Undercroft Cafe is now open to all.

Queen Elizabeth's weekend retreat, Windsor Castle,has just opened its first restaurant.

The café is located in Edward III's medieval undercroft (a cellar or storage room), which has been used for centuries as the estate's wine cellar. It is one of the oldest spaces in the 1,000-year-old castle and is now open to the public as an historic spot for lunch or tea.

Worth a trip to England?

undercroft cafe

tea at windsor

Honored Contributor

Re: You Can Have Tea at Windsor Castle!

Nice.  Tourists will love it.

Honored Contributor

Smart move.  I'm sure this will be a popular spot and successful!

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional 

The desserts look yummy!  Love the way the chairs echo the ceilings.  

It's a shame, however, that it is opening during all the worries over the virus.  But, I'm sure it will be a great success when this passes.

I'd love to go!

Esteemed Contributor

Great idea!  Right now I’ll have to settle for pictures.  Or closing my eyes and pretending to be there.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT @Witchy Woman @phoenixbrd @chrystaltree   right now it's just fun to imagine one's self in an interesting place, a fun place, isn't it?  and a yummy dessert definitely adds something to the mental journey!  maybe one for the Bucket List.

Honored Contributor

I think it would be a lot of fun to try out! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

more about the area:

It wasn’t until the devastating fire at Windsor in 1992 that the Undercroft was reinstated as a single space for the first time in over 300 years, having been partitioned in several separate spaces before that.

The Castle’s ground floor had absorbed so much water that the walls of the Undercroft had to be stripped back to allow them to dry out. In the process it was discovered that much more of the room’s early fabric had survived than previously thought, and subsequent restoration work turned it back into the great medieval interior it once was. Future Programme continues this process, giving the Undercroft new life as the Castle’s first permanent café for visitors.

An artist’s impression of the new café in the Undercroft at Windsor Castle.
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional @It looks like a great tea spot...oh those desserts.I wonder how to choose.I think I would go many times to not miss a thing.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ms traditional @It looks like a great tea spot...oh those desserts.I wonder how to choose.I think I would go many times to not miss a thing.

@dex   let's go together! i like your idea!