Honored Contributor

Yikes - my FL car insurance & homeowners insurance increase

Don't know about other companies for car/house insurance but I have GEICO (supposedly lowest price yearly per AAA).

My spouse hardly drives and we only drive about 8-9,000 mi/yr. even less since Covid.  My yearly premium went up $49.61/mth or $595.32 a year😳😳😳.  We had no tickets, no accidents and I called they told me the rate increase was 1)spouse age because he's 70 and 2) uninsured drivers who have accidents when they payout it affects everyone.

Tomorrow, I plan to contact AAA and see if there is better rates.  This is crazy & never did get the 20% other companies offered during COVID shutdown🤷‍♀️.  (Warren Buffett & shareholders smiling all the way to the bank😡).  

My house insurance notified us our premium will be increasing 40-60% depending on your County.

Worse only a few write homeowners in FL -- so one is really forced to pay high premiums, no choice😡

I wonder if others in FL have seen a big jump in insurances - thankyou!

QVC Customer Care

Re: Yikes - my FL car insurance & homeowners insurance increase

Respected Contributor

Here in Philly our car insurance has always been high, so your rate seems like a bargain!

I do know both older and younger drivers often pay a premium due to age.

No idea about housing issues down in FL-- I am guessing the climate and the potential for sinking ground are big issues.  Probably there have been a lot more costly claims due to storms.

Our home insurance is quite high, but we have an older home, and replacement costs are expensive.

Trusted Contributor

Live in suburb of Los Angeles. State Farm increased our house insurance over 30%

last September.  Building materials are skyrocketing-30-40-% increases and still on the rise, so that is factored in.  Geico is not a bargain.  Their quotes when I was looking for more reasonable auto insurance were same and higher than State Farm.  Our pocketbooks are hurting from every angle.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1  Car ins rates in Fl really went up recently.  Also, I find as soon as your with a company three years here, they raise your premium a lot..

We had Progressive for 3 years and they raised us.  We just switched to AAA, it's not a huge savings but we did save some money.  Worth checking out.

Esteemed Contributor

One can start with each Bill they pay/each item they purchase, and every activity they pursue. Are there any that have not gone up? Are there many that are lower /or the same as last year?

I did not major in business, or even finish high school, but! It's pretty obvious to me why everything has a higher price tag than 12 months ago. Is it going to stay the same/get better or get worse in 2022? I will leave it to each person to decide for themselves.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never found Geico to be the lowest despite how cute that little green gecko is!

I have progressive and though I drive very little their rates can go up depending on claims from the area we live in. Doesn't seem fair but that is how most operate. So they don't just go by individual record but what is happening in your city and state, so I was told when I asked why it went up.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Earlier this year I had to purchase a newer car because my almost 14 year old car bit the big one. I got a 2019 Kia Sportage. My rate is now about $1200.00 a year. My homeowners went up over $100.00 a year because of the cost of materials being so high. I upped the deductable on the homeowners and that took the cost down and also now have payments automatically taken from my bank account, which deducted another 5% off each bill. BTW, I'm in east central PA., drive under 1500 miles a year and will be 70 in about 3 weeks. @hckynutjohn , I'm pretty sure, and this is just my opinion, but I think all these high prices are here to stay. Once it's out there, you can't take it back, especially with all the higher wages people are starting to get now. Nothing like I ever received in all my working days, that's for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel your pain @homedecor1.  I left Florida in 2007 primarily because the combination of car insurance, homeowner's insurance and real estate taxes became too much to handle.

My car insurance has gone up since I moved to my current location but my total annual premium, with a driver over 70, is about what your increase is.

I've had increases in homeowner premiums too, especially after hurricanes hit the coastal area, but still no where near outrageous.  When the bill comes in I just remind myself of what we paid in Florida and I stop grumbling.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

We almost moved from California to Florida (Lighthouse Point) in 2006.  When looking into things, I found out the company we used for Homeowners insurance pulled out of Florida (I'd been with them nearly 30 years at the time).  They were still writing auto policies but it would of gone up A LOT.  I saw on the Today Show yesterday Al Roker talking about the bad weather events that the US experienced in 2021, the hurricanes, wildfires, snow storm in Texas and the costs...billions and billions.  The first thought that came into my mind was....yep, insurance rates are going up.  That's how  it's paid, the bill is passed onto the consumer.