Valued Contributor

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

I was a lil bit nervous converting to gas BUT overall the cost savings is quite significant! I also now know the benefits I've heard all these years in having a gas stove (finally got one 2+ years ago when remodeled)!

ANY work regarding gas lines or adding a line or moving a pipe--I will only use my gas company to do this work (had them add a line & moved one when converted kitchen to gas for stove). It might be a little more money versus an independent heating company, but I'd rather true experts who do this every day all day work on my home. Just a personal preference that gives me peace of mind.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

@gardenman wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

My current home has oil heat.  I've lived in two apartments that had all electric and I hated it.  It was expensive and it never felt warm.

When I lived in England, we had natural gas heating, where there's a long history of its use.  But since moving back here, we've heard of so many homes and buildings having gas explosions, that no way would we convert.  Every time we hear on the news of a building "exploding", we just say "another natural gas".  It's almost as though they don't know how to install or maintain it safely, in some of these new developments.

I'm scared to death of gas.

@PilatesLover it's just as safe as oil heat.  What do you think can happen to oil stored somewhere on your property?  Same thing.....

Heating oil is much like kerosene and non-explosive. It'll burn but not explode. The big issue with heating oil is soil contamination from a leaking tank. Aside from that, there are no real safety issues with heating oil. It's a very safe way to heat a home. It does cost more, but it is what it is. I've paid as little as $69 a month in recent years on a budget plan and as much as $206 a month. It all depends on the price of oil.  

Cool.  I just learned something.  Of course, it doesn't mean I'm changing anything in my home, since it is already outfitted with natural gas.  But thanks for the factual information.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life