Honored Contributor

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

Power bill came yesterday; $360.   I expected $400 since the emergency heat setting has been used several times during frigid cold temps and almost weekly snowstorms here in WV.   No complaints tho as we are warm and comfy, and enjoying life in a good place.   

Valued Contributor

I have a 1950s multi level home & live in the Northeast. Most older homes have oil. I never thought that was weird or unusual.

This home had oil heat until about 10-15 years ago when we switched to gas. They had to run a line from the next street over & to my home. There was an oil tank in a basement room we had removed when we did the switch. Switched out hot water heaters to a new one. All new gas lines were put inside & a vent from the basement to outside. It was a multi day affair & I think cost a good bit of money even back than. But SO worth it & has paid for itself in the years since with the savings. I couldn't imagine the cost if we were to do it today! Yikes!
Honored Contributor

Why are you heating your home in June?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

You need "heat" to heat hot water heaters in some homes depending on the set up or equipment. So I can absolutely see using "heat" year round for some people!
Honored Contributor

We have electric heat and our bill is normal for wintertime. I feel sorry for all of you who have bills that vary so wildly. I would not want to deal with that either.

Homes that require oil to heat them may go down in value if this is a common problem with them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

We lived in NJ when I was growing up. Our house was heated with natural gas and I don’t remember ever being cold. 

We moved to rural PA when I was 17. The old farmhouse had a coal furnace and my younger brothers had to take care of the furnace every day. Our driveway was on a hill. I remember they used to dump the coal ash in the driveway to give traction to the vehicles when it snowed. Eventually my parents changed the heating system to oil.

My current house has oil heat. We have 2 tanks. Last bill was $650 which Dh says should last 6 weeks. We also have a gas fireplace in our living room. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Why are you heating your home in June?

I don't know who this question is for, but when I mentioned paying a level billing amount all year long it doesn't mean I'm using heat.  Even though in my state, the heat laws say anytime the temperature drops below a certain amount heat must be provided by Landlords.  It doesn't matter what the calendar says.

I pay a fixed amount for 12 months; thereby ensuring that my heating bill isn't exhorbitant during heating season.  It's sort of like paying it forward @Porcelain 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
You need "heat" to heat hot water heaters in some homes depending on the set up or equipment. So I can absolutely see using "heat" year round for some people!

Yes, the thermostat is not set to heat in July, but I have hot water needs @sometimesQVCaddict .  LOL.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

My current home has oil heat.  I've lived in two apartments that had all electric and I hated it.  It was expensive and it never felt warm.

When I lived in England, we had natural gas heating, where there's a long history of its use.  But since moving back here, we've heard of so many homes and buildings having gas explosions, that no way would we convert.  Every time we hear on the news of a building "exploding", we just say "another natural gas".  It's almost as though they don't know how to install or maintain it safely, in some of these new developments.

I'm scared to death of gas.

@PilatesLover it's just as safe as oil heat.  What do you think can happen to oil stored somewhere on your property?  Same thing.....

Heating oil is much like kerosene and non-explosive. It'll burn but not explode. The big issue with heating oil is soil contamination from a leaking tank. Aside from that, there are no real safety issues with heating oil. It's a very safe way to heat a home. It does cost more, but it is what it is. I've paid as little as $69 a month in recent years on a budget plan and as much as $206 a month. It all depends on the price of oil.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I live in New Jersey.  My gas heating bills have increased substantially since this time last year.