Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 110
Registered: ‎04-24-2017

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil


@Enufstuff wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @Tinkrbl44   Last week I had an oil delivery for 185.7 gals.

     at $3.05 per gallon, the total was $566.38.  This will last me

about four weeks. I am heating three levels in my 108 year old house. I remember the days when oil was only $1.00 per gal. Smiley Sad

      It would be way too costly for me to change to gas. Gas or oil

is what everyone I know uses. I never heard of electric heat.

      We live in Massachusetts. Let's hope that we have a short winter season.


I live in Massachusetts as well. Just paid $650 to fill my  oil tank.....and that will last about a month in this cold weather. I also have a 3 level house that's close to 150 years old. No insulation and huge windows are killers in the winter. I always thought that electric heat was the most expensive.....but maybe that's changed. I don't have gas lines near me, so if I wanted to go the gas route it would have to be propane which is even worse. Looks like we're getting a pretty big storm here this weekend, @Enufstuff. Stay safe!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,909
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

My current home has oil heat.  I've lived in two apartments that had all electric and I hated it.  It was expensive and it never felt warm.

 

When I lived in England, we had natural gas heating, where there's a long history of its use.  But since moving back here, we've heard of so many homes and buildings having gas explosions, that no way would we convert.  Every time we hear on the news of a building "exploding", we just say "another natural gas".  It's almost as though they don't know how to install or maintain it safely, in some of these new developments.

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,909
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil


@fthunt wrote:

@RedTop I've never lived with oil but I agree about that  deep warm feeling.  Natural gas leaves cold spots....

 

meaning set thermostat for 73 - ok  you get 73

 

but then temp starts to drop and no more warmth is sent your way until

temp falls to 72........then it kicks in.

 

Oil, I believe, is constant...........


@fthunt - No, oil works the same way as your natural gas.  The furnace is controlled by the thermostat setting.  So, if the thermostat is set at 72, it runs until it hits 73, then stops.  When the temp drops to 71, it kicks in again.  (This is assuming you set the differential on your thermostat to 1 degree.)

Respected Contributor
Posts: 5,002
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

[ Edited ]

Natural gas prices are up 30%.  It's a tough year when it comes to heating.  

 

@emma bunting  that storm is 6-12 inches.  I'm betting you will get the higher amount.   At least there are only 7 weeks till spring.

 

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,914
Registered: ‎09-24-2011

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

Reading everyone's comments makes me feel somewhat better.....But, I feel bad for all of us as the cost of energy has skyrocketed!

 

Just paid my oil bill yesterday and freaked!!!  $757.97 was on my charge card, however that included two oil deliveries (December and January - about six weeks apart), my solar billing and a $22 charge from Healthy Paws (I cancelled as soon as the monthly charge went up to $165!!).

 

I also live in Massachusetts, but have my oil delivered from a company in Rhode Island.  My home is about 74 years old, but well insulated.  I have replaced most of the windows with triple-panes.  I, too, have three floors to heat.  Been keeping my thermostat on 66* and will move it up to 68* during the forthcoming storm if it gets bad in case we loose power to hopefully protect the top floor pipes.

 

Hope and pray that all energy prices go back to what they were:  but, it is what it is.....Woman Frustrated

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,798
Registered: ‎07-24-2013

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil


@eddyandme wrote:

Reading everyone's comments makes me feel somewhat better.....But, I feel bad for all of us as the cost of energy has skyrocketed!

 

Just paid my oil bill yesterday and freaked!!!  $757.97 was on my charge card, however that included two oil deliveries (December and January - about six weeks apart), my solar billing and a $22 charge from Healthy Paws (I cancelled as soon as the monthly charge went up to $165!!).

 

I also live in Massachusetts, but have my oil delivered from a company in Rhode Island.  My home is about 74 years old, but well insulated.  I have replaced most of the windows with triple-panes.  I, too, have three floors to heat.  Been keeping my thermostat on 66* and will move it up to 68* during the forthcoming storm if it gets bad in case we loose power to hopefully protect the top floor pipes.

 

Hope and pray that all energy prices go back to what they were:  but, it is what it is.....Woman Frustrated

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


@eddyandme    We use oil, keep the heat at 60 at night and run woodstove during the day,  the bedrooms are at 62. we have a ranch w/basement and very cold floors (no carpets just hardwood).   We wear wool sweaters and socks.  we're in ri w/ oil deliveries maybe every 6 weeks if we can stretch it out.  we use a mini split for AC.

 

there are lots of 300yr old  ancient homes here . i don't know how people got by in the olden days what with candles and oil lamps and outhouses. they'd have to be up all night stoking the fire.

 

now another big storm. Nat'l Grid just sent tree cutters down here to saw off the high branches but each storm a big oak takes down the lines and we lose power. 

 

Stay warm!!!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,914
Registered: ‎09-24-2011

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil


@CatsyCline wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Reading everyone's comments makes me feel somewhat better.....But, I feel bad for all of us as the cost of energy has skyrocketed!

 

Just paid my oil bill yesterday and freaked!!!  $757.97 was on my charge card, however that included two oil deliveries (December and January - about six weeks apart), my solar billing and a $22 charge from Healthy Paws (I cancelled as soon as the monthly charge went up to $165!!).

 

I also live in Massachusetts, but have my oil delivered from a company in Rhode Island.  My home is about 74 years old, but well insulated.  I have replaced most of the windows with triple-panes.  I, too, have three floors to heat.  Been keeping my thermostat on 66* and will move it up to 68* during the forthcoming storm if it gets bad in case we loose power to hopefully protect the top floor pipes.

 

Hope and pray that all energy prices go back to what they were:  but, it is what it is.....Woman Frustrated

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


@eddyandme    We use oil, keep the heat at 60 at night and run woodstove during the day,  the bedrooms are at 62. we have a ranch w/basement and very cold floors (no carpets just hardwood).   We wear wool sweaters and socks.  we're in ri w/ oil deliveries maybe every 6 weeks if we can stretch it out.  we use a mini split for AC.

 

there are lots of 300yr old  ancient homes here . i don't know how people got by in the olden days what with candles and oil lamps and outhouses. they'd have to be up all night stoking the fire.

 

now another big storm. Nat'l Grid just sent tree cutters down here to saw off the high branches but each storm a big oak takes down the lines and we lose power. 

 

Stay warm!!!


Thanx, @CatsyCline .  Pipes are my bigest concern - one problem they didn't have in the 'old days'Woman Wink.  Small world - I used to be a Trouble Center Operator for National Grid.  When we took over Narragansett, each of us had to spend a week riding with the troublemen in the bucket trucks!  Enjoyed RI and the people there.  I'm sure they'll have extra tree crews coming in and line crews, and even crews from other states and Canada if need be, in on standby.  And I won't miss working 'round the clock!     Hopefully this storm won't be as bad as they're thinking it might be; and, if so, NG will

be prepared.  Keep warm!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 5,002
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

@eddyandme 66 degrees is so cold...I am worried the pipes will freeze in a bathroom so I've been keeping it at 66 at night but would actually lower it if I didn't worry about the pipes.  I'm comfortable under blankets at night and can tolerate a colder temp.   During the day I have to turn it up higher.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,260
Registered: ‎08-20-2014

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil

 


@Venezia wrote:

My current home has oil heat.  I've lived in two apartments that had all electric and I hated it.  It was expensive and it never felt warm.

 

When I lived in England, we had natural gas heating, where there's a long history of its use.  But since moving back here, we've heard of so many homes and buildings having gas explosions, that no way would we convert.  Every time we hear on the news of a building "exploding", we just say "another natural gas".  It's almost as though they don't know how to install or maintain it safely, in some of these new developments.

 

 


I'm scared to death of gas.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,088
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Yikes!! Home Heating Oil


@PilatesLover wrote:

 


@Venezia wrote:

My current home has oil heat.  I've lived in two apartments that had all electric and I hated it.  It was expensive and it never felt warm.

 

When I lived in England, we had natural gas heating, where there's a long history of its use.  But since moving back here, we've heard of so many homes and buildings having gas explosions, that no way would we convert.  Every time we hear on the news of a building "exploding", we just say "another natural gas".  It's almost as though they don't know how to install or maintain it safely, in some of these new developments.

 

 


I'm scared to death of gas.


@PilatesLover it's just as safe as oil heat.  What do you think can happen to oil stored somewhere on your property?  Same thing.....





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life