Honored Contributor

Re: Yet another call scam. Half off DirecTV

@chickenbutt wrote:

I almost bought one of those call blocker units one time and, fortunately, realized it would not be my best choice just in time.

You had to hook it up to the main phone that's hooked up to the modem, in my case, and my modem is upstairs.  There would be no way to run up there and block a call. 

Like John, I have phones that have 'block' right on the phones only mine have 2,500 spots.    I just had to start over after a pretty long time.  I remember the first ones only had like 250 spots (IIRC) and that was just not enough.    You can block a call from any of the handsets, so that works best for a set up like mine.

I also have the voice mail turned off.   For me, that is perfectly fine because my legitimate call volume is very low.   If you miss a call, it says 'missed call' right on the handset so you know if you need to call somebody back.    I turned it off because of the robo, etc, calls.   I hate enough having to check messages that are just nothing - like 'hi I just called to say <whatever>, but to have these unwanted calls leave messages was just too much.

@chickenbutt Thanks. My home phone does not work with the internet.

Respected Contributor

I cannot supply a link, but I think it's worth Googling:

CIA Fraud Division created by Roy L Baker Jr

It is a video he shared that, for very good reason, has gone viral.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D 

That's why I love our 1,000 call block phone. Virtually none even ring our phone.

hckynut 

@hckynut @Is this a special phone that can block calls? I have an old fashioned landline and have cordless phones and keep a corded phone for power outages. 

@Mindy D 

I bought this AT&T 4 cordless set several years ago. It has a directory limited to 50 entries, but will block up to 1000 different names and/or numbers. If this name or number is not in your directory, it will auto block the call.

You can set it to block all calls not in your directory, or you can turn off that feature and block each call individually manually,as the call is incoming. With the Auto setting, your phone does not even ring.

We too have a landline phone that needs no electricity, just the phone Jack, in case of power outages.

I am sure AT&T has better models now that do the same thing. I don't know which model we have, it's been too many years and I have forgotten. Sorry!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D 

That's why I love our 1,000 call block phone. Virtually none even ring our phone.

hckynut 

@hckynut @Is this the phone you have?

E305997
Motorola Corded Phone with Answering Machine &Call Blocking

No, check my other post.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D 

hckynut 

@hckynut @Is this a special phone that can block calls? I have an old fashioned landline and have cordless phones and keep a corded phone for power outages. 

@Mindy D 

I bought this AT&T 4 cordless set several years ago. It has a directory limited to 50 entries, but will block up to 1000 different names and/or numbers. If this name or number is not in your directory, it will auto block the call.

You can set it to block all calls not in your directory, or you can turn off that feature and block each call individually manually,as the call is incoming. With the Auto setting, your phone does not even ring.

We too have a landline phone that needs no electricity, just the phone Jack, in case of power outages.

I am sure AT&T has better models now that do the same thing. I don't know which model we have, it's been too many years and I have forgotten. Sorry!

hckynut 

@hckynut @Unbelievable. I think that I have this phone. I have an AT&T cordless. I didn't realize that it might have this capability. I might not be able to get caller ID from my carrier, AT&T, with my plain old landline phone. It was not offered with a POTS line when I got my new internet and phone plans. Thank you very much for replying. I'll be checking.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

If I don't recognize the number, it doesn't get answered.

Same here.   Imagine if everybody did this, these would no longer be productive and the problem would go away.   Alas, too many people answer the calls so the numbers are sold to many others with nefarious purpose.  

Such a simple solution.  

Not so simple for me.  While going through the process of getting my retired husband on Medicare, supplemental insurance, Social Security, and rolling over his 401K, etc., I had calls from all sorts of companies from all over the country.  I HAD to answer the phone no matter if I recognized the phone number or not.  I almost missed an important call from a Medicare office located in New Mexico because at first I thought it was a scam call.  I decided I better answer it, just in case.  Good thing I did.

Not every solution is simple! 

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Just a heads up. I got a scam call offering DirecTV for half off. after I hung up, I checked online to see if there were discussions about this scam.
There are plenty of articles on the internet discussing this. It's not real. Some people are saying that when they continued on with the call they were asked or told to buy gift cards to get their deal. I didn't continue with the call today, so I did not hear this part myself. 

do you have an answering machine? considering getting one, at this point there is no need to answer any calls 

someone who really wants to talk to you will leave a message