Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yes, USPS Deliveries Can Get Worse

@Still Raining wrote:

As someone who lives so rural there is no delivery, and whose nearest PO was so short on boxes that I had go one town over, I am amazed at those who feel they need daily delivery.

Even at best I went once a week.  Now it is more like 2-4 weeks.

Get a grip.

That's like living in the dark ages(that's a historical reference)

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvsjewels9755 wrote:

I am having the same problem with packages not arriving in a timely manner.  I have tracked some items that have ended up at UPS Mail Innovations and stay there for weeks on end.  I have one now that was finally transferred to the post office, and the post office has now had it for 10 days.

And, it is impossible to get through to the post office or to that UPS Mail Innovations.  They are an absolute joke and I hope someone puts them out of business.  

I've been having trouble with stuff sitting at the Butler, NC UPS Mail Innovations facility for weeks now. Is that the one you're having trouble with?

I see no reason to contact the post office or Mail Innovations. Your package will arrive when it arrives. And I'm pretty sure once a UPS Mail Innovations package has left and is on the way to the post office and days later it's not showing it arrived at a post office it really hasn't left the Mail Innovations facility and was only scanned and loaded into a vehicle or is still sitting there waiting to be loaded.

Valued Contributor

Anything the government runs doesn't work!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@DAD wrote:

Anything the government runs doesn't work!!! 

Especially when there are forces operating to intentionally make it not work!

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I have never heard of anyone of any persuasion who wanted to get rid of the Postal Service -- until this year. Not sure how much more I'm going to be asked to sacrfice here. Businesses and workplaces and jobs, gone, sacrificed, the elderly, meatpackers, frontline workers, waiters, teachers, doctors, children, sacrificed.

And now you're supposed to willingly remove your mailbox and not get mail anymore? For what? What do we get in return for all this sacrifice?

Then you haven't been paying attention.  That is a long held goal in some circles.

@Marp   What circle are you talking about... I've never heard of getting rid of the USPS either.

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I have never heard of anyone of any persuasion who wanted to get rid of the Postal Service -- until this year. Not sure how much more I'm going to be asked to sacrfice here. Businesses and workplaces and jobs, gone, sacrificed, the elderly, meatpackers, frontline workers, waiters, teachers, doctors, children, sacrificed.

And now you're supposed to willingly remove your mailbox and not get mail anymore? For what? What do we get in return for all this sacrifice?

Then you haven't been paying attention.  That is a long held goal in some circles.

@Marp   What circle are you talking about... I've never heard of getting rid of the USPS either.

@KatieB,  I can't answer here because the thread or at least my reply would get poofed.  However, if you do a search on the term privatize usps you will get a number of recent articles.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I ordered several see-thru masks with no cloth face coverings so that people could see my lips as I spoke.  I was going to give one to my trainer at the Y because I have difficulty understanding her with her mask on.  She does lower it for me, but the Y policy is to have the mask on at all times for trainers.

Anyway, I ordered from Etsy.  It has been almost 2 weeks since my order, so I messaged the seller this morning.  She got back to me immediately and told me that she had over 1,000 orders just sitting in post offices throughout the country.  She offered a refund, which I accepted.  

There really is no excuse for such poor service.  My local post office has really started to improve service.  If they can do it, so can any of the others.  Ours was so bad at one time that we had to get our US Senator to intervene, so I know that others can do better than we do.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Art Sackler thinks USPS should be run as a service, not a business.  What are UPS and Fedex that offer a service if not businesses?

Maybe, if USPS was run like a business, some of their financial woes would be solved.  

I don't agree with privatization at all.  That shouldn't even be on the table for consideration.  

I think there's a great deal of inside inefficiency that should be looked at.  For example, my mailman takes his good old time.  Is so much overtime necessary?

The USPS cannot run like a business.  The USPS has to deliver to every community in the country.  FedEx and UPS can pick and choose where they will deliver.  A lot of rural communities would be without mai service if the Postal Service was run like a business.  Delivery rates in some areas would be through the roof.  

The prefunding mandate voted into law in 2006 needs to be rescinded.  No private company is required prefund 75 years worth of retiree health benefits in the span of ten years.  That will cost of approximately $110 billion.  The mandate is responsible for all of USPS's financial losses since 2013. 

This is a deliberate attack on the United States Postal Service.  Wake up.

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Gee don't get me started.

Lots of problems because of handoff between UPS and  or FEDEX and the postal service.  One  blames the other but I am the one looking for the package.

And nobody answers the phone and that is BEFORE COVID.  

Had a cheesecake sit on my neighbors porch for a week. Why?  They were away on vacation. IT WAS FROZEN.  

Had a simple make- up foundation item go up and down the East Coast.  Got it in a "timely manner" in 4 weeks.  Lucky me.  

Had an item returned to me. I returned it but the post office read only  my return address. 

I pay my bills online to be safe from the post office.  However honestly this has been going  on for over 2 years. 

@bonnielu wrote:

Gee don't get me started.

Lots of problems because of handoff between UPS and  or FEDEX and the postal service.  One  blames the other but I am the one looking for the package.

And nobody answers the phone and that is BEFORE COVID.  

Had a cheesecake sit on my neighbors porch for a week. Why?  They were away on vacation. IT WAS FROZEN.  

Had a simple make- up foundation item go up and down the East Coast.  Got it in a "timely manner" in 4 weeks.  Lucky me.  

Had an item returned to me. I returned it but the post office read only  my return address. 

I pay my bills online to be safe from the post office.  However honestly this has been going  on for over 2 years. 

If Fedex and USP could not hand off to the USPS you would not receive anything or the fees would cost as much as the product you're buying.  It is not profitable for UPS and Fedex to deliver to some areas.  USPS is under staffed and lacking funds.  Most of this is due to the mandate for USPS to prefund 75 years of retiree benifits in 10 years.  That mandate pushed the USPS into the red.  Americans are asleep at the wheel.  A major service is under attack and nothing is being done about it.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@KatieB, It's not generally so blatant as doing away with it altogether. It's often more of a hobbling thing. Check out current news. I can't say more.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland